Torquay Artificial Reef and FAD's

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Foxxius

Torquay Artificial Reef and FAD's

Post by Foxxius » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:55 pm

G'Day everyone.
I'm kinda new here and been a lurker for sometime. Anyway I have a question concerning the Torquay FAD's.

I run a 5.6 Quinnie Runabout with 100hp Yammy 4stroke
I've taken it offshore a few times at Port Albert and out through both entrances at Westernport. I've fished the Rip several times and taken her out through the heads once but the swell was a little big so I bailed out. I guess I'm trying to say that I'm not a total newbie when it comes to offshore work and I'm confident I can handle my boat and make the right choices when it comes to weather and conditions etc.

I was wondering what is the best place to launch to get to these FAD's? Do i give the Rip a go (weather permitting) it seems a fair way from the heads (22kms) or Barwon Heads (the bridge looks a little low for my boat with rocket launchers etc.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm confident but cautious if that makes sense.

Thanks in Advance
Foxy

Foxxius

Re: Torquay Artificial Reef and FAD's

Post by Foxxius » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Bumping this post :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 am

Most boats I see out there have launched from fisherman’s beach in Torquay, you need a 4wd for that although it might be possible to get someone to use one of the tractors.

Otherwise Barwon heads would be the next closest, not bad on a low swell day but I’ve seen waves break right across the mouth there which doubtless caused a brown moment for the occupants of the tinny making its way back in.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Foxxius

Post by Foxxius » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Thanks 4liters - it’s quite a long way from the Rip...just worried about getting back if it whips up

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:02 pm

As previous said, fishos is your best bet with a 4wd. If you join the Torquay fishing club you used to have access to the tractor if required (don't know if this is still the case) But I used to launch a 4.5m tinny with a commodore so if you do have a 4 wheeler you should not have any issues with your boat

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:14 pm

I enjoy getting outside the heads and usually launch from queenscliff, from memory it's about a 40 minute cruise to Torquay. I tried the FADs at Xmas but it was quiet and I was probably on the wrong end of the tide change.
I considered Fishermans beach when I had permanent accommodation down at JanJuc, but it's really a weather dependant launching option.
There's no way I'd attempt it in my boat - 6 M fibreglass Centre Consol.
I'd rather go via the Heads any day rather than have surf rolling over the stern while the trailer is bogged in sand. I researched the trailer/rope retrieve method and also considered joining the club but still there's more days the Rip is better than the swell is down IMO. Like I said it's doable in the best conditions but if you're out a few hours then the swell rolls into the beach - you're stuck.
The rip is amazing - always something to see.
There's plenty of reef between the Rio and along towards Barwon to choose from.

Matty H

Post by Matty H » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Fishos is OK on the days it's gunna be OK to fish out there. Don't bank on the tractor, have your own plan. Launch is easy (4wd necessary), retrieval is where boaties come unstuck. Your standard jockey wheel will bury deep with water movement n boat loaded onto it and you will not be able to pull it out, you need a very wide wheel, either swing down spare or bolt on custom made, push trailer out deep enough, get the boat on then tow out with a long strap. If easterly wind pushes in get outta there, n be careful in any swell forecast > 3ft. On a good day though, my boat (4.75m stacer with 75hp), takes 5 minutes to get there. Angling club tractor will perform a Hail Mary for you....., at a cost. That said, they're incredibly capable, knowledgable experienced watermen, if they offer you advice or direction make sure you listen.. The reef is still evolving, I look forward to seeing what it delivers in coming years.

Return to “General”