static shock,s yesterday

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

static shock,s yesterday

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:12 am

Went to brighton yesterday just after lunch it was a gloomy day weather wise but a bit of wind which i like had a few cast next to the second shelter picked up a tiny pinky the bait fishos were losing their bait as soon as it hit the water i was using my goto softplastic setup ( graphite rod) moved around to the bend then zap zap started to get good static zaps there was no lightning about so thought **** maybe something do were i was fishing headed down to the end of the rocks same again zap zap good hits a few guys were fishing there asked me if i had anyluck nope but gettin zapped from my rod he looked at me like i was from a nut farm anyway said here grab my fishing rod same thing zap zap he looked at his mates in disblief(shock) anyway carried my rod between my net webbing and got the hell out of there in 35 years fishing that was a first

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: static shock,s yesterday

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 am

Does sound fairly strange... never happened to me before...

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:39 am

Lightningx wrote:Does sound fairly strange... never happened to me before...
yep funny but do a goggle search

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Graphite is conductive. I've had to leg it out of Cape Schanck up the stairs because I was blindsided to an incoming lightning storm and using a 13 footer. Never seen a fat man get up those stairs so fast. Scary stuff.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 pm

What were you wearing it could have been static electricity building up the discharging when your skin came near your lightning rod.

Got caught once off cape woolami when a cell rolled in quickly got the rods down off the rocket launcher and put them in the cabin and hid from the rain lightning til it past. I was fishing with 2 other boats the rain was so heavy we could not see them

Hectic habbib

Post by Hectic habbib » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:47 pm

That's wierd, don't know

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:35 pm

Nude up wrote:What were you wearing it could have been static electricity building up the discharging when your skin came near your lightning rod.

Got caught once off cape woolami when a cell rolled in quickly got the rods down off the rocket launcher and put them in the cabin and hid from the rain lightning til it past. I was fishing with 2 other boats the rain was so heavy we could not see them
maybe but allways wear the same shoes when fishing and i did,nt swap clothes with the other guy before he grabbed the fishing rod

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:44 pm

DougieK wrote:Graphite is conductive. I've had to leg it out of Cape Schanck up the stairs because I was blindsided to an incoming lightning storm and using a 13 footer. Never seen a fat man get up those stairs so fast. Scary stuff.
ha yep i know Graphite is like a lightning rod .Years ago i was flyfishing on the goulburn a fair way from the caravan park with a 9ft graphite flyrod when noticed a nasty storm coming with lightning so ran under a big old gumtree for shelter so did another flyfisherman now two lightning conductors under a big old gumtree i looked at the other guy and tookoff like speedy gonzales all the way back to the caravan park

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Very common. Been hit with this a few times. The wet line picks up static charge during casts.

Do not cast when it's humid and with a bit of storm brewing.

A few years ago, i was fishing lagoon pier. Bite was hot and i was having a ball. A storm came in close to the area and the moment i casted, a strong static electricity discharge hit me. I dropped my rod mid-cast. Minutes later, I heard this " tick tick tick" sound coming from under the pier. I looked under and i saw sparks of electricity like a discharge from a giant spark plug travelling from the metal lamp post mounting to the water. I moved away from the lamp post and from my rods until the storm passed. While waiting, my rods were bent attached to decent fish. Scary ****.....

Return to “General”