Fishranger?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Fishranger?

Post by bluewater81 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:03 pm

4liters wrote:
bluewater81 wrote:Interesting.. which weather site do people find most accurate, they are all over the place here in VIC, hard to find a consistent one.
Fishranger uses both the BoM forecast models (which are the better predictor in Australia) and the US forecast models (which are not as accurate for Australia), the BoM data costs money to access so that is where his overheads come from and one of the reasons why he's had to start the subscriptions. A lot of the free sites just use the US data because it's free but it isn't as accurate as often compared to the BoM.

The other advantage of Fishranger is the variety of locations, and as far as I know he'll add new ones if you ask - I wanted forecasts for Cape Liptrap because I was planning a trip out there in the kayak so I requested the spot and within a couple of days it had been added.

edit - just paid for the subscription. It's nice when stuff is free but I give that site a real workout so I'll be getting my moneys worth
Thanks mate, appreciate the reply. I'll join up tonight. When I was running a cray boat I used to use Buoyweather but I notice that has turned to crap in recent times also. I'll give this Fishranger a whirl and see how I go. I do some big trips offshore so need a reliable forecast, many are all over the shop here. Liptrap in a kayak would've been stunning scenery?

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:29 pm

yepi'mon wrote:Even on an unpaid account there is enough info there for any user. You still get wind, wave, tide and air pressure forecasts for 5 days.

I doubt Fish Ranger runs on $0 expenses for the year so I don't blame them for putting a subscription in. They are the best in the business and have the most detailed forecasts.

If it's a big deal for someone they can use Willy weather and then whinge about that instead!
Barometer is gone

But you're right, BoM data is over 13k per year.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:12 pm

bluewater81 wrote:
4liters wrote:
bluewater81 wrote:Interesting.. which weather site do people find most accurate, they are all over the place here in VIC, hard to find a consistent one.
Fishranger uses both the BoM forecast models (which are the better predictor in Australia) and the US forecast models (which are not as accurate for Australia), the BoM data costs money to access so that is where his overheads come from and one of the reasons why he's had to start the subscriptions. A lot of the free sites just use the US data because it's free but it isn't as accurate as often compared to the BoM.

The other advantage of Fishranger is the variety of locations, and as far as I know he'll add new ones if you ask - I wanted forecasts for Cape Liptrap because I was planning a trip out there in the kayak so I requested the spot and within a couple of days it had been added.

edit - just paid for the subscription. It's nice when stuff is free but I give that site a real workout so I'll be getting my moneys worth
Thanks mate, appreciate the reply. I'll join up tonight. When I was running a cray boat I used to use Buoyweather but I notice that has turned to crap in recent times also. I'll give this Fishranger a whirl and see how I go. I do some big trips offshore so need a reliable forecast, many are all over the shop here. Liptrap in a kayak would've been stunning scenery?
Yeah, although the best scenery was the school of kings that buzzed me until they ****** off 30 seconds later
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

snorkly

Post by snorkly » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:47 am

It is probably the best site to get info and plan ahead for us fishos. Together with fishranger I also use Meteye for wind & wave conditions. Second and maybe third opinion doesn't hurt. When Fishranger was in trouble and about to be shut down earlier this year or last year (can't remember exactly) I've done some donation (less than current fee) and enjoying the full subscription now!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Boat's don't run on thanks ...
Either do weather sites .
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Sickrat

Post by Sickrat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Yeah I debated it, but the BOM data is pricey, plus I felt the app is quite good and it appears that the $$ is staying in Australia (for the most part).

Also we gotta keep in mind is that there are other expenses Fishranger suffers from too. Things like hosting, site security, backup management, site availability, maintenance, development - it all cost $$ to run.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:38 pm

i been using fish reminder of late as Matt Black put in a post seem,s okay

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:23 pm

I paid a donation to support Fishranger and now have a 1st 12 months subscription as a thanks. I think it's the best info a fisho can get. Am very happy to support local/Aussie business. In saying that, I've been monitoring the 10 day forecast a while now and it's sort of ok. Any weather is hard to be accurate that far ahead. I understand that.
I've found if you look at Saturday's weather 10 days in advance it usually turns into Thursday/Fridays weather by the time Saturday comes around.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Fishranger has been my goto for sometime now and have recommended to others
I,m in on the subs even if I don,t use some of the new stuff.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Fishranger is the go. Willy is no good, always off on the predictions. Haven’t found another decent one like fishranger, worth the $40 if it helps puts you onto fish.

Return to “General”