Sounder Help

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
karlws1

Sounder Help

Post by karlws1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 am

Hi to you all, the advice I received from my last post was greatly appreciated.
This time I am looking for advice on my Lowrance Hook 7 I try to locate areas of sand in the weed patches for whiting fishing which is ok when the water is calm and clear. However when its not so clear, I am hopeless with the sounder it all looks the same. So I was thinking that I have two options one is get some help with identifying the bottom or purchase a underwater camera on a lead for searching when I pull up. Instinct tells me I have already paid for the sounder so learn how to use it. Any advise welcome. Karl

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Re: Sounder Help

Post by repspec » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 am

1 way i found helped...was motor around in shallow water (say 2-4 mtrs) and have a look at what im driving over. Then remember what it looks like on the screen.
Darker returns on the bottom indicate harder bottom. Wavy lines, or less dense colours indicate weed or "softer" bottom

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:17 am

if its in shallow water like 2-4m man just use polarised sunnies and find the patches, no need for sounder...
or do what repspec has suggested, drive over known weed beds and see wat comes up on sounder to learn what to look for.
Good luck

karlws1

Post by karlws1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks for that. :-)

Return to “General”