1-3KG Soft Plastic rod?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Danners93

1-3KG Soft Plastic rod?

Post by Danners93 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi all :-D

I have a 2-4kg 7ft Shimano Catana which I use for soft plastics but I am looking for something a bit lighter (1-3kg) to pair with my shimano arenos 1000fb with 6lb braid and to have a bit more fun with bream and flatties throwing around lighter jigheads and maybe even unweighted plastics. I know theres a 1-3 Catana but I'd like to avoid repeating if possible (I know if it's not broken don't try to fix it but its just a preference) something around the 7 foot mark would be ideal give or take as I fish land based 99% of the time :water: Any suggestions on which rods to look at? Willing to spend up to $200 but value for money is always appreciated :a_goodjob:

Thanks in advance :cheers:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: 1-3KG Soft Plastic rod?

Post by DougieK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm

I've got that 1-3 catana and I honestly like it better than my 5x the price Nitro.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Have a look at the atomic arrows estuary sul and the bream surface rods.
Otherwise daiwa has some nice rods in that price range as well
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Danners93

Post by Danners93 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:30 pm

DougieK wrote:I've got that 1-3 catana and I honestly like it better than my 5x the price Nitro.
which nitro is that mate? I love them and was thinking if I continue to use soft plastics (I'm new to the SP/lure scene, been a baito for ages) that I'd eventually update to a nitro. Might give that a miss now hahaha! Cheers for the tip :thumbsup:

Danners93

Post by Danners93 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm

mazman wrote:Have a look at the atomic arrows estuary sul and the bream surface rods.
I'll have a look at the atomics mate thank you! I've been looking at a few of the daiwa's they look pretty decent. Any specific Daiwa rods you'd recommend?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Danners93 wrote:
mazman wrote:Have a look at the atomic arrows estuary sul and the bream surface rods.
I'll have a look at the atomics mate thank you! I've been looking at a few of the daiwa's they look pretty decent. Any specific Daiwa rods you'd recommend?
The td hyper and generation black ranges are popular but they are quite different to the atomics.

Reading your above post if you do feel like eventually upgrading your gear to something in the 3-400 range I would be looking at a samurai or daiwa rod. Nitro imo are very expensive for what they are.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Danners93

Post by Danners93 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:00 pm

mazman wrote:
Danners93 wrote:
The td hyper and generation black ranges are popular but they are quite different to the atomics.

Reading your above post if you do feel like eventually upgrading your gear to something in the 3-400 range I would be looking at a samurai or daiwa rod. Nitro imo are very expensive for what they are.
awesome thanks for the advice!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Danners93 wrote:Hi all :-D

I have a 2-4kg 7ft Shimano Catana which I use for soft plastics but I am looking for something a bit lighter (1-3kg) to pair with my shimano arenos 1000fb with 6lb braid and to have a bit more fun with bream and flatties throwing around lighter jigheads and maybe even unweighted plastics. I know theres a 1-3 Catana but I'd like to avoid repeating if possible (I know if it's not broken don't try to fix it but its just a preference) something around the 7 foot mark would be ideal give or take as I fish land based 99% of the time :water: Any suggestions on which rods to look at? Willing to spend up to $200 but value for money is always appreciated :a_goodjob:

Thanks in advance :cheers:
Don't waste your money on a nitro. I have..

They are nice rods but way to expensive for what they are.

I've recently used a cousins Shimano Jewel Spinning Rod 7ft 1-4kg. He has a Daiwa Luvias 2500 on it which is a nice setup but a smaller reel like a 1000 sized reel would be nicer. Has a really nice action and a great feel. I usually stay clear of shimano rods, I prefer daiwa, but i was really impressed with this rod.

BCF has them on sale from $200 to $160.

Cheers, Anth

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:48 pm

The revamped shimano jewels are actually pretty good i must say, i also like the newer Shimano Raiders,
Also look at the Daiwa TD black Itchy twitchy, Daiwa Td hyper and TD zero (bit more$$)

Ns Amped range, Atomic arrowz (which is made by majorcraft) and the Abu Garcia Veritas V3 models

all are good and within your budget, just got to find what suits you best..

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:43 pm

purple5ive wrote:The revamped shimano jewels are actually pretty good i must say, i also like the newer Shimano Raiders,
Also look at the Daiwa TD black Itchy twitchy, Daiwa Td hyper and TD zero (bit more$$)

Ns Amped range, Atomic arrowz (which is made by majorcraft) and the Abu Garcia Veritas V3 models

all are good and within your budget, just got to find what suits you best..
I'll second the 'Itchy Twitchy' nod. Although I'm also happy with my two (different) Raiders.

Return to “General”