The great anticipation before a fishing trip!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Rod Bender

The great anticipation before a fishing trip!

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 am

Hi All
I'm sure most fishos love the planning involved with a fishing trip and the anticipation. I am planning on revisiting the Ovens River after my last session (which didn't exactly go that smooth).

First part of my planning is the timing which depends on work. I will then look at the weather for the days that I can go. As well as using the almanac, I also look for a day when a high pressure system is coming over.

After my last episode of trout 'throwing' hooks, I will be removing trebles and replacing them with singles. To make sure the lure still swims properly I will rehash the lures then go for a session in the local channel to ensure that the lures are still 'swimming' properly. I don't wear waders but I do make sure I am not wearing any bright clothing on the day that I hit the river.
I love the preparation!
thanks
Jim
Last edited by Rod Bender on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: The great anticipation before a fishing trip!

Post by scott__henning » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:54 pm

i gotta agree with you there...i wish tomorrow was Saturday already!

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Rod Bender wrote:Hi All
I'm sure most fishos love the planning involved with a fishing trip and the anticipation. I am planning on revisiting the Ovens River after my last session (which didn't exactly go that smooth).

First part of my planning is the timing which depends on work. I will then look at the weather for the days that I can go. As well as using the almanac, I also look for a day when a high pressure system is coming over.

After my last episode of trout 'throwing' hooks, I will be removing trebles and replacing them with singles. To make sure the lure still swims properly I will rehash the lures then go for a session in the local channel to ensure that the lures are still 'swimming' properly. I don't wear waders but I do make sure I am not wearing any bright clothing on the day that I hit the river.
I love the preparation!
thanks
Jim
Hey Jim, if your replacing your trebles, you`ll need either, an extra split ring to turn the hook back in line, or an inline hook, such as a Decoy Sergeant jigging hook, (thats the type I use on my salmon lures). Remember, when your using singles on lures, do not give the buggers an inch of slack line, or you`ll stay fish less.
Excuse me if you already know all this, I`m not trying to teach you how to suck eggs mate..lol..
Carl..

Linc

Post by Linc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Yep fishing is all about the anticipation. First the prep and anticipation of the pending trip, then when you're on the water it's anticipating the bite - the actually catching bit is such a minute part of the whole process but makes it all worth it!

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:14 pm

I think anticipation and preparation is as much fun as fishing, talking through with your mates where to go, how to catch it, what to bring, then the trip it self, maybe 5min maybe 3hours, but can't get there fast enough... :thumbsup:

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:49 pm

CarlG wrote:
Rod Bender wrote:Hi All

I love the preparation!
thanks
Jim
Hey Jim, if your replacing your trebles, you`ll need either, an extra split ring to turn the hook back in line, or an inline hook, such as a Decoy Sergeant jigging hook, (thats the type I use on my salmon lures). Remember, when your using singles on lures, do not give the buggers an inch of slack line, or you`ll stay fish less.
Excuse me if you already know all this, I`m not trying to teach you how to suck eggs mate..lol..
Carl..
I do have 'inline' hooks! Still leaves an issue regarding replacing the treble on the bottom of the lure - it has to either point downwards (a bit of a snag attractor) or add an extra split ring and have two 'singles' on facing outwards. I generally use small Rapalas (CD1 or CD3) and just leave the front treble off. May try the additional split ring on the belly with 2 'singles' each side at some point with the larger lures (7's & 9's).
thanks
Jim

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:26 pm

I turned the treble hooks on a 5cm Jointed Rapala into 'W' hooks by cutting off one of the points. Hoping the trout will have difficulty removing the hooks. Went out to the channel for about 20 minutes to see if it still swims properly - it does! On the downside I did not even get a redfin!
thanks
Jim

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:00 pm

i love the planning of a fishing trip also but i never fail to forget at least one item lol. whether it be a towel or my pain medication or something a light. or something else. thank god i have a good wife that will bring me whatever it is i forget lol.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:46 am

Last year I did the 50km one way trip to Waranga Basin. Only to find I had forgot my reel! Water looked that good I went home and returned - and didn't catch a fish!
Jim

shooto

Post by shooto » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Rod bender,

The adventure starts with a thought and sometimes a little imagination
In my case i always remember our L.B.G trips to Eden and Lakes Entrance
Those trips had taken a lot of preparation and planning
I enjoyed the drive just as much as the fishing, especially if you have some extra pony under you :smokey:

Return to “General”