Catching Live Bait

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Catching Live Bait

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:45 am

G'day guys.

After some knowledge if anyone is willing to help. Has anyone used bait traps in the Balcombe Estuary for Mullet? If so.. some pointers on where abouts in the Balcombe would be appreciated.

Was thinking of using a big Juice Bottle, cutting a square in the top of it and having bread soaked in tuna oil inside, as well as a plastic burley bucket in the same area. Haven't done this before, but i've seen a few videos.. One including in the patterson river by the Reel It In guys.

If the Balcombe Estuary isnt worth it, i will head to Pato or Warneet.

Cheers in advance.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Catching Live Bait

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:16 pm

My uncle use to use a square plasitic box.
About 400 to 500mm square with a 4 inch whole in it. And 2 x 10mm whole in each corner to let the air out and help it sinks

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:23 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:G'day guys.

After some knowledge if anyone is willing to help. Has anyone used bait traps in the Balcombe Estuary for Mullet? If so.. some pointers on where abouts in the Balcombe would be appreciated.

Was thinking of using a big Juice Bottle, cutting a square in the top of it and having bread soaked in tuna oil inside, as well as a plastic burley bucket in the same area. Haven't done this before, but i've seen a few videos.. One including in the patterson river by the Reel It In guys.

Cheers in advance.
Thinking of catching some livies for a mulloway? :)

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Lightningx wrote:

Cheers in advance.
That’s the plan. Very excited to learn and start something new, again ...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:28 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:

Cheers in advance.
Haha thought so.
I’m sure once you get the livies you want it won’t take long before you land a nice one :thumbsup: you gonna be targeting them only from the land or from the boat as well when you get it back?

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Lightningx wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:

Cheers in advance.
Haha thought so.
I’m sure once you get the livies you want it won’t take long before you land a nice one :thumbsup: you gonna be targeting them only from the land or from the boat as well when you get it back?
Both mate. Will probably just stick with fresh squid on boat though.

I’m guessing you’ve never really been to the Balcombe estuary in Mt Martha? I’ll be up that way Monday meeting my mate, it’s the closest area that looks doable to catch the mullet. Otherwise it’s a 40min drive there and back to pato or Warneet basically

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:51 pm

why not just berley and use a float rigged with 2 size 14# flyhooks and chicken strips for bait

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Just buy a $5 bait trap from a tackle shop and put some bread in it, or, all the back beaches along that area are full of mullet, just use a bit of pipi and cast in close with a bit of burley and you will get heaps

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:22 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:

Cheers in advance.
Haha thought so.
Both mate. Will probably just stick with fresh squid on boat though.

I’m guessing you’ve never really been to the Balcombe estuary in Mt Martha? I’ll be up that way Monday meeting my mate, it’s the closest area that looks doable to catch the mullet. Otherwise it’s a 40min drive there and back to pato or Warneet basically
Nah when I’m down that way never really go there mate.
Usually target the squid or fish for kgw/pinkies.
Fresh squid from the boat in WP sounds good :thumbsup:

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:56 am

Hi guys.. I live in patto and regularly use both bait+float and bait trapping methods for livies.. both methods work well for me. The key to live bait is having a good live bait tank set up to keep your fish healthy.. i have seen a lot of different set ups ranging from buckets with a $6 air pump connected. Others have been large esky's on a wagon with a water pump connected to it.. it depends on how many you keep, the sizes you keep and how long you want to keep them alive.

Hit me up if you want to have a session at patto.. im always looking for new guys to have a fish with :water: :thumbsup:

Return to “General”