Forum for asking Fishing Questions

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Elly27
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Forum for asking Fishing Questions

Post by Elly27 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:38 am

Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:So I used squid and the berley bucket and landed a toadfish haha, anyways since I caught something finally there (after many bites from other fish) I am going to a new location. I also want to mention that I kept getting hooked on a fish where I was unable to reel the line (I am guessing it was a huge fish).

Can someone please explain how to use chicken as bait, I would like to know the best way to put it on a long shank hook.
Well do you cut the chicken into long strips or chunks or???
I was cutting them into chunks do you recommend strips?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:37 am

Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:So I used squid and the berley bucket and landed a toadfish haha, anyways since I caught something finally there (after many bites from other fish) I am going to a new location. I also want to mention that I kept getting hooked on a fish where I was unable to reel the line (I am guessing it was a huge fish).

Can someone please explain how to use chicken as bait, I would like to know the best way to put it on a long shank hook.
Well I have had a lot of success doing it that way and threading it on.

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 am

Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:

Okay I will marinate it in garlic, do you use bait buddy at all?

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 am

Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:

Do I store it in the fridge or freezer, I want to use it next Sunday. Would it be better if I bought the chicken 2 days before I use them?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:45 am

Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:

Never use bait mate when using chicken. You don’t have to. It’s a tough bait I never have problems with it coming off.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:47 am

Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:

Do I store it in the fridge or freezer, I want to use it next Sunday. Would it be better if I bought the chicken 2 days before I use them?
When trying to catch mullet I have frozen chicken and brought it back out and used and caught. Hasn’t been a problem.

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote: Well do you cut the chicken into long strips or chunks or???
When trying to catch mullet I have frozen chicken and brought it back out and used and caught. Hasn’t been a problem.
I am so confused, I tried using the chicken after placing it in the freezer for a few days and it just kept falling apart.

Was I supposed to place it in the fridge the day before or something?

brybry

Post by brybry » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:35 am

Most baits work for mullet. My personal favourite is white bait, but have caught heaps on maggots, chicken marinated overnight in tuna oil, bread, dough, sandworm or whatever.

Never had trouble with chicken falling apart. Can only assume it’s not properly thawed out (?).

Keep your baits and hooks tiny and fish as light as you can. And burley.

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:41 am

brybry wrote:Most baits work for mullet. My personal favourite is white bait, but have caught heaps on maggots, chicken marinated overnight in tuna oil, bread, dough, sandworm or whatever.

Never had trouble with chicken falling apart. Can only assume it’s not properly thawed out (?).

Keep your baits and hooks tiny and fish as light as you can. And burley.
What is the proper way to thaw out, I am guessing to just place it in the fridge?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:47 am

Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:

Did you end up marinating it in garlic. Think a tuna oil might be a good marinade if garlic doesn’t work.

Return to “General”