Forum for asking Fishing Questions

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Elly27
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Forum for asking Fishing Questions

Post by Elly27 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 pm

repspec wrote:wow...this poor bloke (not sure if its a troll or not) but is asking for fishing advice and getting shot down.

yelloweye Mullet
- depending on if you can drive, head to Patterson river or Tooradin or mordialloc creek
- Use small long shank hooks (10, 12, 14)
- small pieces of chicken or whitebait/bluebait
- Dont use pippis as they are expensive and too soft
- patternoster rig with sinker on the bottom and 2 hook above that
or use a float rig, similar to garfishing
- use breadcrumbs and tuna oil as a burley...handful when you start and through a handful every now and then.

If you plan to eat them, bleed them straight away and take out the black gut lining when you clean them.

Or if you plan on using them for bait, you can use a bait trap to catch them. check out this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOoKHyGY9V8

the other thing is, try find books on fishing in australia...Thats how i learnt a lot about fishing when i was growing up...or go to tackle shops...they are more than happy to help
What pound line do you recommend, I think it would be hard to put small hooks on my 20lb line with the patternoster rig

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:50 am

Trace foe mullet is on 15lb+
If you cant get the loop of line threw the eye of the hook just cut one end of the look close to the knot and then justcut the lead loop down little bit amd tie the hook on normally

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 am

Nightwish wrote:Yes and I'm all for it, there are more than a few of us that have had enough of the dribble posted for the sake of their post count, there are no prizes or hero status for having the most posts, cheers davo
x2
:cheers:[/quote]

X3

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:14 pm

I am not feeling confident with using the chicken, it does not have the same strong smell like the squid. I had no bites when I tried at Balcombe Creek Beach, I tried the berley bucket but did not help.

I will use squid and water with breadcrumbs for berley.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 pm

I have caught plenty with chicken but if that’s what you want to do then good luck.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:06 pm

Jive it a try and see how you go

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:37 pm

So I used squid and the berley bucket and landed a toadfish haha, anyways since I caught something finally there (after many bites from other fish) I am going to a new location. I also want to mention that I kept getting hooked on a fish where I was unable to reel the line (I am guessing it was a huge fish).

Can someone please explain how to use chicken as bait, I would like to know the best way to put it on a long shank hook.

blakesirus

Post by blakesirus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:01 am

Elly27 wrote:So I used squid and the berley bucket and landed a toadfish haha, anyways since I caught something finally there (after many bites from other fish) I am going to a new location. I also want to mention that I kept getting hooked on a fish where I was unable to reel the line (I am guessing it was a huge fish).

Can someone please explain how to use chicken as bait, I would like to know the best way to put it on a long shank hook.
it is possible that if the fish was in the same location (the one that you said you were unable to reel in) it could have been a snag (tree, rock, weeds etc) and not a fish

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 am

It definitely was not a snag because my bell was ringing like crazy, after just letting the reel relax the line went loose again and my bait was gone

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 am

Elly27 wrote:So I used squid and the berley bucket and landed a toadfish haha, anyways since I caught something finally there (after many bites from other fish) I am going to a new location. I also want to mention that I kept getting hooked on a fish where I was unable to reel the line (I am guessing it was a huge fish).

Well do you cut the chicken into long strips or chunks or???

Return to “General”