Please give me advice

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Please give me advice

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:06 am

smile0784 wrote:
russellh2 wrote:Are you a smoker - tobacco smell on hand/hands?? - If so wash your hands thoroughly before you bait up or get a non smoker to bait for you.
Heard of this but i got 2 mates that smoke and they still catch a few
Did they catch smoked fish?

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Did they catch smoked fish?
HeHe.....what about the old coots spraying their bait with WD40? Did they catch mechanics?

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 pm

smile0784 wrote:
russellh2 wrote:Are you a smoker - tobacco smell on hand/hands?? - If so wash your hands thoroughly before you bait up or get a non smoker to bait for you.
Heard of this but i got 2 mates that smoke and they still catch a few
I haven’t heard of that with smoking but I know it’s a thing with sunscreen.
I remember one time my old man and I had a good school of Whiting going. I was plucking them out of the water every drop in a matter of seconds and he wasn’t even getting hit. Yet he was casting in the exact same spot as me. Then realising he had sunscreen all over his hands and I didn’t.
Weird but true I think

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Without knowing the greater detail of things you are doing it sounds like you are just going out hoping for the best without a specific target of fish. If your passionate and dead keen on fishing.. do some research and learn about the specific species you are wanting to catch. Locations, tides, moons, rigs, baits, conditions. It’ll narrow things down for you and improve your chances. Nothings guaranteed but if your putting in the hours you’d want to make sure the things you are putting in place are correct.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Jimsfishing5 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:I have had bad luck in the past probably like 10 trips with donuts but have always gotten onto fish eventually. You are fishing at very good times. So you’re saying you haven’t even caught a toadie? No undersize fish? Just absolutely nothing after 15 sessions???
Nope,not even a toadie,my brother has cuaght a toadie on my rod,but i have never. I have gotten plenty of bites,but never hooked anything. I only ever use the smallest hooks i can buy at any shop.
All you can do is keep trying mate.
Sooner or later a fish will have to hook itself and you will be on.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:34 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:Without knowing the greater detail of things you are doing it sounds like you are just going out hoping for the best without a specific target of fish. If your passionate and dead keen on fishing.. do some research and learn about the specific species you are wanting to catch. Locations, tides, moons, rigs, baits, conditions. It’ll narrow things down for you and improve your chances. Nothings guaranteed but if your putting in the hours you’d want to make sure the things you are putting in place are correct.
Agree with this if your fishing land based google fishing for those locations there will be plenty of info out there.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Where have you been fishing?

It will be a lot easier to give ideas for what to target and what rig to use if you can give us the location.

Personally. If I wanted to give myself the best chance of catching a fish. Of any species I’d use a 1/0 circle hook. On a 15lb leader. Have a tagless dropper loop about 40cm from the hook. Attach a 1-2oz sinker to this. Bait up with a small strip of squid if you have it. Small tail piece of pilchard if you are using that. And cast it out into a sand patch near weed.

I reckon there will be something simple wrong with your rig/offering that will be causing your issues.

Jimsfishing5

Post by Jimsfishing5 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:43 pm

rb85 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:Without knowing the greater detail of things you are doing it sounds like you are just going out hoping for the best without a specific target of fish. If your passionate and dead keen on fishing.. do some research and learn about the specific species you are wanting to catch. Locations, tides, moons, rigs, baits, conditions. It’ll narrow things down for you and improve your chances. Nothings guaranteed but if your putting in the hours you’d want to make sure the things you are putting in place are correct.
Agree with this if your fishing land based google fishing for those locations there will be plenty of info out there.

Trust me,i have tried,looked specifically with bream with worms on a running sinker rig at patterson river, specifically for leatherjackets with shellfish at lorne pier and flinders pier,which were both suggestions i got online... Believe me,i have got tons of bites,but nothing has hooked on. Do you recommend striking? Or just leaving. I have tried both. But obviously nothing has worked.

Jimsfishing5

Post by Jimsfishing5 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 pm

ducky wrote:Where have you been fishing?

It will be a lot easier to give ideas for what to target and what rig to use if you can give us the location.

Personally. If I wanted to give myself the best chance of catching a fish. Of any species I’d use a 1/0 circle hook. On a 15lb leader. Have a tagless dropper loop about 40cm from the hook. Attach a 1-2oz sinker to this. Bait up with a small strip of squid if you have it. Small tail piece of pilchard if you are using that. And cast it out into a sand patch near weed.

I reckon there will be something simple wrong with your rig/offering that will be causing your issues.

I have fished lorne,flinders,cape patterson,a few suburban lakes and a few piers along the eastern bay (chelsea area) i live in the eastern suburbs.

I copy all my rigs from online,and other fishermen around me,and on one occasion i tied a rig and baited the hook for someone,who went and caught a fish 5 minutes later. I just dont understand. I probably just need to spend more time fishing.

Jimsfishing5

Post by Jimsfishing5 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Jimsfishing5 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:I have had bad luck in the past probably like 10 trips with donuts but have always gotten onto fish eventually. You are fishing at very good times. So you’re saying you haven’t even caught a toadie? No undersize fish? Just absolutely nothing after 15 sessions???
Nope,not even a toadie,my brother has cuaght a toadie on my rod,but i have never. I have gotten plenty of bites,but never hooked anything. I only ever use the smallest hooks i can buy at any shop.
All you can do is keep trying mate.
Sooner or later a fish will have to hook itself and you will be on.
Thanks,i definitely plan to keep trying,i love the sport. Always have,but becuase my parents didnt like it at all i never was taught or even allowed to fish.

Return to “General”