Yak close call

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Yak close call

Post by cobby » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:53 pm

adamk wrote:
cobby wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
adamk wrote:i honestly think they should make ais mandatory for yaks even boats
if you dont know what ais is https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 46/zoom:13

but yeah lots of tools on the water
not sure how this works
Automatic identification system. Uses both GPS for location and transmission of position and VHF for transmission. The use on rec boats including larger yachts/powerboats is well under 1% at a guess. Its actually kind of pointless on rec boats anyhow given majority don't cross international waters or venture into sensitive territory (oil rigs, defence areas etc.)
but would it not increase the visibility if everyone is using it ? an save time finding lost yak users ?
On what device would you look at when underway from say patto-outer artificial that takes most of your attention away from actually driving? What boat under 6m or kayak for that matter even has a radar system? Which in itself can detect even a floating 44 gallon drum, all without the need for ais

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Yak close call

Post by FishnMiss » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:36 am

I kayak all year round, day, night wind rain etc & always have run a bright 360 Degree super bright LED stern light. I also carry flares & a Cree Headlamp that will make anything in 350m look like daylight. Also I use a bright PFD not camp or black like some people do on their yaks. Let TSV sort out the safety requirements which hopefully will bring in more safety equipment on yaks. I’ve lost count of the number of yakkers I’ve encountered in the dark that are speed humps waiting to get hit & I generally don’t bother telling them anymore because of the abuse I cop (if I’m just chatting to them I may just mention in passing). Had a boat go past me near Elizabeth Island at 2am & the bloke says is that a kayak over there with it’s light on (nice n quiet that time of the morning). Off course you also get Idiot boaters who come past at full speed without backing off about 10m from you.
I reckon just radio it in to coastguard to report & hopefully they cop a big fine as really gives the rest of us a bad rap
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Return to “General”