Yak close call

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Yak close call

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:46 pm

I went out last night and when the tide ran too quick i came into mchaffies reef.
2 kyaks were flashing a torch at me to show me they were there. ..

Putrid effort. If i hit these wankers i woukd of looked like a fool. Long weekend all these wankers come out. Not a nice feeling driving in the dark at best of times.

Trying to guess that a kyack is in front of you makes it worse.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:32 pm

i know exactly where you are all coming from, i myself kayak before first light to set up for sunrise. i use a pvc pole with LEDs wrapped around it that can be seen from tasmania and even at my slow peddling speed i still get shocked to suddenly see someone silently anchored up by themself with no lighting whatsoever. it must be incredibly hard for boaties to see these idiots at any speed.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:56 pm

As a yakker myself this ***** me. Even this morning at Kirks point before first light and fog bound it was packed out there with kayaks and tinnys. The majority with no lights whatsoever (1 out of 6 kayaks had a light). There is going to be a catastrophe sooner or later

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Absolute madness :down:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:I went out last night and when the tide ran too quick i came into mchaffies reef.

Putrid effort. If i hit these wankers i woukd of looked like a fool. Long weekend all these wankers come out. Not a nice feeling driving in the dark at best of times.

You can thank maritime safety Victoria, transport Victoria or whatever the hell they call themselves now for that. They had the minimum safety equipment needed, which is a torch

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:05 pm

i honestly think they should make ais mandatory for yaks even boats
if you dont know what ais is https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 46/zoom:13

but yeah lots of tools on the water

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:07 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:I went out last night and when the tide ran too quick i came into mchaffies reef.

strangely enough this is the requirement by the Transport Safety site on lighting requirements for boating in Vic

"Sailing vessels underway (not using power) less than 7m in length and boats under oars
If practicable, any of the combinations for vessels under sail, or an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light, exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision."

I dont agree with it by the way and for any that have met me on the water at night know how bright my 360 deg light is ( I don't plan to become a speed bump )
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:11 pm

adamk wrote:i honestly think they should make ais mandatory for yaks even boats
if you dont know what ais is https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 46/zoom:13

not sure how this works
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 pm

cheaterparts wrote:

not sure how this works
Automatic identification system. Uses both GPS for location and transmission of position and VHF for transmission. The use on rec boats including larger yachts/powerboats is well under 1% at a guess. Its actually kind of pointless on rec boats anyhow given majority don't cross international waters or venture into sensitive territory (oil rigs, defence areas etc.)

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 pm

cobby wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:

not sure how this works
Automatic identification system. Uses both GPS for location and transmission of position and VHF for transmission. The use on rec boats including larger yachts/powerboats is well under 1% at a guess. Its actually kind of pointless on rec boats anyhow given majority don't cross international waters or venture into sensitive territory (oil rigs, defence areas etc.)
but would it not increase the visibility if everyone is using it ? an save time finding lost yak users ?

Return to “General”