Brand new angler after some advice - Melbourne

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Cardinaltetra

Brand new angler after some advice - Melbourne

Post by Cardinaltetra » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Hey all

I haven’t had a go at fishing in well over 10 years. I am keen to give it a go again and am most likely just going to start off with some pier fishing and maybe try out the Yarra river. I am based in Melbourne.

I have gone to places like Anaconda to try and determine the gear i require at a minimum and have found the staff on duty (at the time i went at least) were of very little help.

I am looking to target fish like flathead, bream and whiting whilst pier fishing. If I head to the river wouldn’t mind chasing a few carp for the fun of it.

I am hoping for advice on the appropriate rod and reel combo. What line I should be using, bait/lures etc. I have only ever fished with bait in the past.

I realise this info is out there, but so much of it is very confusing and very contradictory. I was hoping to get some advice based on my location and situation as mentioned. Budget wise I am happy to spend what I need to for the best bang for buck, but keeping in mind that i am a complete novice and have no need for unnecessarily flashy gear.

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong section or if this type of post is frowned upon.

Thanks in advance :D

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Brand new angler after some advice - Melbourne

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Cardinaltetra wrote:Hey all

I haven’t had a go at fishing in well over 10 years. I am keen to give it a go again and am most likely just going to start off with some pier fishing and maybe try out the Yarra river. I am based in Melbourne.

I have gone to places like Anaconda to try and determine the gear i require at a minimum and have found the staff on duty (at the time i went at least) were of very little help.

I am looking to target fish like flathead, bream and whiting whilst pier fishing. If I head to the river wouldn’t mind chasing a few carp for the fun of it.

I am hoping for advice on the appropriate rod and reel combo. What line I should be using, bait/lures etc. I have only ever fished with bait in the past.

I realise this info is out there, but so much of it is very confusing and very contradictory. I was hoping to get some advice based on my location and situation as mentioned. Budget wise I am happy to spend what I need to for the best bang for buck, but keeping in mind that i am a complete novice and have no need for unnecessarily flashy gear.

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong section or if this type of post is frowned upon.

Thanks in advance :D
Obtain a copy of the Landbased Guide for Port Phillip and Corio bays.

I would start by targetting Garfish, Squid.

http://www.peninsulacompleatangler.com.au/Articles

Piers have unique qualities and it pays to visit the ones near you frequently, watching what others are catching.

Squid leave ink stains on the piers, Gars leave the pier covered with large scales. Salmon can be heaps of fun when they are there each species tend to follow a pattern of when they can be caught.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Hello ,Easter sales soon .....
Look 9 for 12 ft rods for pier fishing, highly recommend southern sportfisher in black rock for good advice and competitive prices...welcome to site
Rovex squid rod for squid n plastics around 50
Last edited by bowl on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay375

Post by Jay375 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:10 pm

A good fishing store like aussie angler (complete angler) now, will point you in the right direction

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:15 pm

bowl wrote:Hello ,Easter sales soon .....
Look 9 for 12 ft rods for pier fishing, highly recommend southern sportfisher in black rock for good advice and competitive prices...welcome to site
Rovex squid rod for squid n plastics around 50
....and get them to spool your reel with mono (its easier to untangle than braid). :thumbsup:

Dr Snapper
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Dr Snapper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 am

I was in the exact same situation 5 years ago.
To get some tips I suggest you visit a local fishing club and join if you like their setup etc. if not, try another club.
I went to ‘hooked on bait and tackle’ in hoppers crossing and big Mike was very patient with all my questions etc and gave me many tips that got me started. When he was explaining stuff and I said, “what’s braid”, he knew he had a challenge on his hands, but after a few disasters and 0 fish, I got the hang of it and the pinkie snapper around Altona and Williamstown now jump in my boat (maybe not, but many less 0 catches now).
Also look for videos online for the type of catch you are after. My favourite is ‘the hook and the cook’. To the point, no long intro music and not overly complicated.
Good luck.

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:17 pm

where in melbourne ?
there are so many difrent ways of fishing
pier - bait or lure ?
surf - bait or lure ?
bream you dont really need anything over 7ft as they stay around structor
flattys they can be in close depending on tides
whiting i dono as i dont fish for them an salmon its waiting for where there travailing through for me as im in laverton an altona an werribee are my closest places

7ft for bream/carp 4000size reel
9ft genral perp 6000 size reel
12ft if you really need to cast 6000 size reel

but get the book the guys are mentioning it will give you somewhat of an idea an then check here for reports an the fb fishing groups

this site for depths its good when you are sussing areas
https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#b ... BeFcy%60tZ

if you have an android phone
tides app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... free&hl=en

windy - weather an hpa aka air pressure 1015 an up is ment to be a good day
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:23 pm

adamk wrote:

I'd probably change it to
2500 size reel + 7ft rod
4000 size reel + 9ft rod
Otherwise they will be terribly outbalanced and not be comfortable to use.

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Brett wrote:
adamk wrote:

I'd probably change it to
2500 size reel + 7ft rod
4000 size reel + 9ft rod
Otherwise they will be terribly outbalanced and not be comfortable to use.
typo on 7ft i use 2000 o_0
9 depends on fishing it pier or surf lure i guess for line as my 9 tends to be balooning with beater or barrel

Cardinaltetra

Post by Cardinaltetra » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks so much for the advice all.

I'm in the east of Melbourne, but don't mind a bit of travel for a day out. Seems like my best bet is to head into a local tackle shop as opposed to a big outdoor chain type setup.

In terms of brands, I figured Shimano would be a safe bet for a rod. Thoughts?

Return to “General”