Refuge cove

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Refuge cove

Post by Kimtown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:26 pm

Planning a trip down to refuge cove this weekend coming.

Original plans was to go down in my mates 6.5m plate alloy boat... but after having looking at next weekends weather report it has me wanting to take mine as well. For those that have gone down there before, am I crazy for thinking of taking a 4.8m tinny with a 70hp outboard? It's like a 80km 1 way trip so I'd have to carry some fuel... my biggest concern is the weather changing on the way home... I'd have confident going over if the weather stays the way it is....

It's probably a stupid idea.. probably should just stick to my mates boat.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Refuge cove

Post by rb85 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Kimtown wrote:Planning a trip down to refuge cove this weekend coming.

Original plans was to go down in my mates 6.5m plate alloy boat... but after having looking at next weekends weather report it has me wanting to take mine as well. For those that have gone down there before, am I crazy for thinking of taking a 4.8m tinny with a 70hp outboard? It's like a 80km 1 way trip so I'd have to carry some fuel... my biggest concern is the weather changing on the way home... I'd have confident going over if the weather stays the way it is....

Little less mate about 50km if you launch from Welshpool. Whats the furthest you have travelled in your boat? How much fuel does it carry and whats your usage per mile?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 pm

If your mates boat has room for you.. I wouldn't bother with the tinny. All you will do is slow him down and if the weather turns you bringing the tinny will be a hassle. Go enjoy the cove on your mates rig

Cheers, Anth

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:09 pm

rb85 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Planning a trip down to refuge cove this weekend coming.

Little less mate about 50km if you launch from Welshpool. Whats the furthest you have travelled in your boat? How much fuel does it carry and whats your usage per mile?
Probably 30km in one hit I suppose. 60L tank but a 4 stroke engine which uses next to nothing. I dont know the actual fuel per mile, would be interested to know though lol.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:If your mates boat has room for you.. I wouldn't bother with the tinny. All you will do is slow him down and if the weather turns you bringing the tinny will be a hassle. Go enjoy the cove on your mates rig

Cheers, Anth
Yeah mate your probably right.. there will be 4 of us on his boat so it'll be a tight fit but easily manageable.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:11 pm

6.5 mt boat should be able to fish 5

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:15 pm

30 to 50km out in a 4.8 mt tinnie.
Been done before but wouldnt recommended it.
With the extra fuel you got to carry
Probably 40 to 60 lt extra
Then have to worry about refueling at see.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:21 pm

smile0784 wrote:30 to 50km out in a 4.8 mt tinnie.
Been done before but wouldnt recommended it.
With the extra fuel you got to carry
Probably 40 to 60 lt extra
Then have to worry about refueling at see.
Yeah that's true, although I would refuel in the cover without chop

You guys are probably right though probably just me being a bit overly excited. Probs best to stick to the big boat

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Refuge Cove is roughly 45km from Welshpool ramp.

4.8m tinny is not suitable for the trip. Leave it at home and go in your mates 6.5m.

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 am

I think I agree with the above that it's a bit underdone. Although If conditions were like the weekend just gone it could be easily done. I took my 5.3 coast runner down and stayed down there. (conditions were ideal on leaving Sunday)
However we fished out at cliffy all day Saturday, stopped at the ovals on the way across and it blew right up in the afternoon. Un-forecast SW to at least 30knots.... wasn't ideal getting back in to refuge, but we made it slowly. In that situation, I wouldn't have wanted a smaller boat, we took enough over the front as it was.
Coming back if it blew up a bit, its easy to hug the coast the whole way

Return to “General”