Weekend report

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Weekend report

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:23 pm

Figured it’s been ages since I put up a proper report. But after 4 years of shift work I’m back on normal office hours and can get some form of fishing happening again.

Fished Saturday with a mate and my young fella out from Hastings. Target was squid and whiting. Moved up north to the bank 1km south of yaringa channel. Made a few drifts for a couple of squid in really dirty weedy water. Headed to the top of the spit for some whiting. No love on them. Worked our way south down the east side of the spit. No whiting or squid at any drop. Finally pulled the pin and headed to tortoise Head bank. Made a few drifts there in some cleaner water. A mate thoroughly pantsed me on the squid but they were still thin. No double hookups or follows. Just the occasional single squid.

Had planned on taking my boat out in the rip on the Sunday but the **** days fishing had the motivation pretty low. Another mate was determined to come. I was happy to go and reading cini’s report of 14 decent kings soon had me champing at the bit.

Headed out a little after first light at a surprisingly quiet Sorrento ramp. Did a quick few drifts and picked up a good number of squid when the action slowed we Started heading to queenscliff to have a crack down at the squid grounds down there. As we got down south around 9am we were greeted with a hell of a lot of boats already in the rip despite slack water not until 12:30. Decided to just have a crack.

After a couple of hours with plenty of drifts and resets jigging aswell as with squid baits down we were ready to try something new. Saw a few birds start working motored over. I didn’t throw in a stickbait rod but my mate had. First cast was on. One of the good size salmon that are cruising the pilchard schools in the rip atm. Got him to the boat and cast back out. This repeated itself until the 12th unit won its freedom when the line gave way just above the lure. Must have gotten damaged during the frantic de hooking that was going on.

Had a few more cracks at jigging but it was plain to see there was no action. Didn’t see a single hookup except for salmon. Around 100 boats out. Mine was the second or third smallest out there so as usual copped a few strange looks lol.

All in all a fun day. And the salmon patties I just knocked up got the nod of approval from the kids. Have got license the do it all again next opportunity. Will be taking some 15gm slugs and a 2-4kg spin rod and really give it a workout I reckon.

Photo is just a quick shot I took out there. Nothing exciting.
Attachments
66BF7181-3EA6-43DC-9546-CECED3B2130D.jpeg

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Weekend report

Post by skronkman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Wow, 100 boats, nightmare. I had the same issue a few weeks back with no kings but plenty of salmon. I actually haven't heard of many kings in the rip recently but I'm probably out of the loop. They are either there or they aren't on the day. At least you got out for a fish and there's nothing wrong with salmon patties on the plate.

stesslmatt

Post by stesslmatt » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:06 am

I got my live squid at 430-515 off swann bay, was third boat in the rip at 545....jigiing...strips...live squid nothing but lost rigs to the bottom and overzelous boat drivers when I decided to slow troll some stips and got cut off. Cinis reort had me excited, but another donut for the rip. Went on the ting on Saturday morning after considering the Kingies, but with the lack of reports decided ting....dam. Should go make the reprots rather then wait to hear them

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:18 am

Is cini actually getting them from the rip or does he fish off to the left a bit towards Portsea back beach? The rip seems like a **** of a place to fish
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:28 am

He was in the rip yesterday and I believe Saturday. It’s actually not that bad cos everyone drifts at about the same speed so as long as you give room when you start your drift you can complete one without much drama. That’s more than can be said about a certain charter (not cini) I was drifting back and he drove up my arse and killed the throttle about 10m away from me and still had slight forward momentum. He just went and serviced his clients whilst I was forced to motor up 25m or so to get some space. We absolutely would have collided had I not motored up. Pretty **** move on his behalf.

It was there that I took the photo in the thread.

Yeah yesterday wasn’t the time to be trolling. I had some wanker trolling tiny skirts at least 80m behind their boat that got pissed off when I crossed em. Considering the maximum room you could give other boats was around 30m it was ridiculous. You literally had to zigzag around boats

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 am

Well done mate, those XOS salmon are certainly a good consolation prize, ide be more than happy to catch them all day.
going to be fun on the 2-4kg gear thats for sure, wish i could be out there chasing them but not a chance in my Tupperware.

stesslmatt

Post by stesslmatt » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

Yeah it was busy, I was trolling well wide of the group drifting the edge of sorrento side when I deiced to slow troll up the middle instead of draggin in, running up and dropping again. There were a few trolling that day constantly in and out of the pack....game if they were using hard boddies and not good for the seals on the prop when you cut them off.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:58 am

purple5ive wrote:Well done mate, those XOS salmon are certainly a good consolation prize, ide be more than happy to catch them all day.
going to be fun on the 2-4kg gear thats for sure, wish i could be out there chasing them but not a chance in my Tupperware.
I normally cach them on a 6kg rod and they are still fun.

Nothing wrong with your boat you could get downthere on a good day

Or you could just borrow my boat mate if you bring me back a salmon.
Love my salmon fillets

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Well done mate, those XOS salmon are certainly a good consolation prize, ide be more than happy to catch them all day.

Love my salmon fillets
yeah ive got some big ones on my heavy gear (15kg) and still pulled line off,
my boats not suited to the rip mate, yes can go there on a good day, but not enough fuel capacity, low freeboard and no epirb etc not worth it for me

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:52 pm

purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

Love my salmon fillets
yeah ive got some big ones on my heavy gear (15kg) and still pulled line off,
my boats not suited to the rip mate, yes can go there on a good day, but not enough fuel capacity, low freeboard and no epirb etc not worth it for me

Fair enough well my boats sitting there if you want to use it

Return to “General”