Tips For L/B Gummy Sharks?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Tips For L/B Gummy Sharks?

Post by CarlG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:18 pm

8/0 circles for cutlets, twin 4/0's for small strip baits.
On the twin rigs I use a circle on the bottom hook, suicide on top hook.
Circles are absolutely fine I reckon.
We use mainly pulley rigs, as they cast really well, but I don't reckon it makes a massive difference.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:51 pm

TheLoneTurtle wrote:I don’t know which?? Circles or suicides?
You've been given a few opinions from fishos. My suggestion would be to try both and see what works best for YOU. Then you can make your own decision through your own hands on experience.
Put in the time and effort and you will be rewarded. Best of luck with the gummy hunt.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Redhunter wrote:
You've been given a few opinions from fishos. My suggestion would be to try both and see what works best for YOU. Then you can make your own decision through your own hands on experience.
Put in the time and effort and you will be rewarded. Best of luck with the gummy hunt.
Red hunter is 100% on the money. Find what your happy with not what I or others say. Everyone has their own tricks. It’s all part of the game finding what works for you than it’s more rewarding when you get on the fish from your own hard what. Tips are always handy but you always learn more out on the water. Christ you my try a bent pin and work wonders for you. I doubt it but you get the idea. All I no is you won’t catch them on the couch!!!!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Redhunter wrote:
:thumbsup:

I had someone come fishing with me, used exactly the same as I was ( to the extent that the only thing different, was they cast their own line in :o_0: ) Yet they still couldn't catch a fish.
Until you work out what works best for YOU, the only thing you can do is try suggestions offered. As I said before, time with baits in the water and patience is the key.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Brett wrote:
Redhunter wrote:
:thumbsup:

I had someone come fishing with me, used exactly the same as I was ( to the extent that the only thing different, was they cast their own line in :o_0: ) Yet they still couldn't catch a fish.
Until you work out what works best for YOU, the only thing you can do is try suggestions offered. As I said before, time with baits in the water and patience is the key.
So true
We have the exact some thing happen so many times on the boat where there lines are only a meter apart.

I can copy the same as my mate and not catch a thing.
Go back to my home made paganoster rig and i catch fish

slinga

Post by slinga » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 pm

dazz999 wrote:sorry to cut in are you guys snelling your circles
Absolutely not. Uni knot all the way

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:10 am

I use circles for fillets and squid and suicides with all other baits. Make sure there is plenty of hook exposure.
Try and stick with the same location and try and work out tides, currents etc. It’s just a matter of when you will catch them...just need lots and lots of patience.
Good luck

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 am

Single circle all the way using chunk baits, find they last longer than fillets. Fish drag in gear. Rod load
Up and scream then your on.

bilby

Post by bilby » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 am

Yes, but this is a landbased thread - fishing for gummy shark with the drag in gear may lead to distressing results!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:34 am

TheLoneTurtle wrote:Been heading out around the beaches of western port using fresh salmon,trevally,squid and blue-bait. I have got 4 good runs and some decent bites but they just aren't getting hooked up. I am using a sliding sinker rig with a 60 pound leader (which is 1 to 1.5m in length) and 6/0 circle hooks.

If you guys could give me any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance.
I have seen gummies caught in the middle of the day, from Mornington and Mordiallic piers.

Although night time is preferred.

If you are fishing with more than one rod, at least have one bait, in close to the shore line.

Return to “General”