Now this may be a silly question but........

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Now this may be a silly question but........

Post by ChrisD » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 am

Over the years I have been a catch and release fishermen - bring them in, a quick photo and back they go.
However after some recent good sessions on the Yarra, I have been thinking that maybe I should keep a few reddies or a trout or two for a feed.
So might be a silly question - but what is the best way to despatch a fish and store/transport it back home again?
Cleaning it I know how to do - but other than knocking a carp on the head, I have never given any thought to the process for any other fish, nor storing and transporting them.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: Now this may be a silly question but........

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 am

Look up a technique called Ike Jime. It's basically using a sharp object to deliver a fatal blow to the fish's brain. It is considered an almost instant, humane way to dispatch of a fish.

In regards to storing take an esky with ice and create an "ice slurry" which is a little bit of sea/lake water and ice. Once the fish has been killed keep it in the slurry.

In regards to gutting the fish, I only do this if planning to bake the fish or not fillet straight away. The sooner you can gutt it the better.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am

yep brain spike them or i use a thing called a priest hit them straight between the eyes

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 am

Brain spike
Then into ice water or on ice

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:31 am

Brain spike then straight on ice in an esky

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:48 am

Thanks Guys - time to dust off the old esky .......
Although whats the bet that I jinx myself by taking the esky.......

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:51 am

I only spike flathead as it is very easy to locate their brain (or alternately whack their head with the handle end of the knife to knock them out) before putting them on ice. I don't really trust myself to get the brain of a snapper or any other fish and feel I would only cause it pain if I miss, so I just put them straight into an ice slurry mix in the esky which quickly puts them to sleep.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:02 pm

An ice water put fish to sleep within a min so if there is no where for them to move i dont spike them.

Like flathead and snapper in the eski

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 pm

Kimtown wrote:I only spike flathead as it is very easy to locate their brain (or alternately whack their head with the handle end of the knife to knock them out) before putting them on ice. I don't really trust myself to get the brain of a snapper or any other fish and feel I would only cause it pain if I miss, so I just put them straight into an ice slurry mix in the esky which quickly puts them to sleep.
I find snapper quite easy to spike, it’s literally right next to their eye just above on an angle, same with salmon straight down the middle of their head like you would win a Flathead. Either ice or spike I don’t see the difference :thumbsup:

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:09 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:I only spike flathead as it is very easy to locate their brain (or alternately whack their head with the handle end of the knife to knock them out) before putting them on ice. I don't really trust myself to get the brain of a snapper or any other fish and feel I would only cause it pain if I miss, so I just put them straight into an ice slurry mix in the esky which quickly puts them to sleep.
I find snapper quite easy to spike, it’s literally right next to their eye just above on an angle, same with salmon straight down the middle of their head like you would win a Flathead. Either ice or spike I don’t see the difference :thumbsup:
i cut the throat of salmon so they die fast and pump there blood out

Return to “General”