Now this may be a silly question but........

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
guppie12
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Now this may be a silly question but........

Post by guppie12 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:05 pm

I just bang em over the head wth my rolling pin kills em instantly. Probably not the besg way as some times i have to give them 2 whacks is this ok? Or i just put my fingers in its gills and pull up whixch kills em instantly but makes a bit of a mess

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:14 pm

guppie12 wrote:I just bang em over the head wth my rolling pin kills em instantly. Probably not the besg way as some times i have to give them 2 whacks is this ok? Or i just put my fingers in its gills and pull up whixch kills em instantly but makes a bit of a mess
edited.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:43 pm

Obviously you are LB freshwater so a keeper net in the water to keep them alive till you are ready to go back to your car where you have already got an esky ready.Then the spike as you leave( sharpen a small screwdriver to a point,carry in tacklebox) and into esky with ice bottles/packs to go home.
All pretty simple and suitable if you are travelling the banks.
Good luck
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

guppie12

Post by guppie12 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Jees never knew there was so many different ways that people kill thier fish before i saw this i thought there was only like 2 ways... hit em the head real hard or break thier knecks lol

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:54 pm

guppie12 wrote:Jees never knew there was so many different ways that people kill thier fish before i saw this i thought there was only like 2 ways... hit em the head real hard or break thier knecks lol
Many ways to skin a cat they say

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

smile0784 wrote:
guppie12 wrote:Jees never knew there was so many different ways that people kill thier fish before i saw this i thought there was only like 2 ways... hit em the head real hard or break thier knecks lol
Skinning a cat might get the greenies up in arms though

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Point still stands tho

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 am

Scraglor wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Skinning a cat might get the greenies up in arms though
To skin an eel, you nail it to a tree, with a cut around the neck & down the belly
Use pliers to remove skin
Would also work on a cat, I suppose

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:55 am

Boonanza wrote:
guppie12 wrote:I just bang em over the head wth my rolling pin kills em instantly. Probably not the besg way as some times i have to give them 2 whacks is this ok? Or i just put my fingers in its gills and pull up whixch kills em instantly but makes a bit of a mess
edited ;-)
Any help is much appreciated

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:59 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:I only spike flathead as it is very easy to locate their brain (or alternately whack their head with the handle end of the knife to knock them out) before putting them on ice. I don't really trust myself to get the brain of a snapper or any other fish and feel I would only cause it pain if I miss, so I just put them straight into an ice slurry mix in the esky which quickly puts them to sleep.
I find snapper quite easy to spike, it’s literally right next to their eye just above on an angle, same with salmon straight down the middle of their head like you would win a Flathead. Either ice or spike I don’t see the difference :thumbsup:
Ones an instant death the other one is relatively slow in comparison.

I reckon you can hear the fish flapping about in your esky then you haven't done your job. That includes if they are going to sleep or not.
I spike all my fish unless it’s crazy hot bite with Whiting or something, you’ll lose the school if your stopping for even half a minute to do something. All fish taste better when spiked though. Especially snapper.. that’s something I’ve learned. I think an Ice slurry does it’s job well too. As long as your doing something and thinking about what your doing.

Return to “General”