Fishing Myths and Fishing Facts

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Fishing Myths and Fishing Facts

Post by cobby » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Kimtown wrote:A fishing myth - can't catch small fish on big hooks but can catch big fish on small hooks.. absolutely false. I still see some fishing presenters on TV sprouting this myth, yet I use nothing but 8/0 circles in WPB and manage just as many 10cm flathead and schoolies as I do keeper fish. And i wouldnt like my chances with a fine gauge 2/0 suicide if a big thumping kingy came along.

A fishing fact - LB is far more difficult than by boat, as I've found out recently.
And yet a 45cm Whiting on an 8/0 circle is an exception, not a given. It all comes down to intended targets and the size (and power) of the respective fish. Not so much a myth, but a misconception

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:30 pm

cobby wrote:
Kimtown wrote:A fishing myth - can't catch small fish on big hooks but can catch big fish on small hooks.. absolutely false. I still see some fishing presenters on TV sprouting this myth, yet I use nothing but 8/0 circles in WPB and manage just as many 10cm flathead and schoolies as I do keeper fish. And i wouldnt like my chances with a fine gauge 2/0 suicide if a big thumping kingy came along.

A fishing fact - LB is far more difficult than by boat, as I've found out recently.
And yet a 45cm Whiting on an 8/0 circle is an exception, not a given. It all comes down to intended targets and the size (and power) of the respective fish. Not so much a myth, but a misconception
I'd add bait size to that. If I'm loading up a big salmon cutlet, an 8/0 is spot on, if I'm using a squid strip or a half a garfish, I'll go down the twin 4/0 route.
Had plenty of gummies on either rig, and have confidence in both. I'd furthermore add that gummies are not the fussiest fish, yakkas chunks, slimy chunks, garfish, squid, (both calamari and arrow), salmon, trevally chunks, banana prawns are baits I can remember working. Probably a couple more in there as well...

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:39 pm

fact for me landbased full moon sucks myth you cant cant squid in dirty/unclear water that they move out to clean water

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm

dazz999 wrote:fact for me landbased full moon sucks myth you cant cant squid in dirty/unclear water that they move out to clean water
Squid work best 30 mins either side of moonrise....
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:57 pm

DougieK wrote:
dazz999 wrote:fact for me landbased full moon sucks myth you cant cant squid in dirty/unclear water that they move out to clean water
Squid work best 30 mins either side of moonrise....
i had no luck for a fair time going down early morning after a full moon the night before

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:31 pm

DougieK wrote:If you make single word or phrase posts which contribute nothing to the discussion on a fishing forum for each comment you want to respond too instead of using multiple quotes in one post, your post count will get higher and people will think you are more knowledgeable.
:rofl:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Myth
When salt water river fishing
Cant catch fish when there are ripples or waves on the water

Duffman

Post by Duffman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Fact.
There is a fine line between fishing and standing around looking like an idiot! :banana:

Return to “General”