Lure Fishing Newbie!!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Swanny

Lure Fishing Newbie!!

Post by Swanny » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Hey everyone,

Just after some help/advice/opinions. I’ve been just landbased bait fishing for a few months now and have some good days and some slow days. Was fishing in north qld on holiday a few weeks ago and noticed a bloke lure fishing off a jetty. Got onto a decent Barra I think it was.

Ive done some research on lure fishing but there’s a lot of info about what to use the right rod the right lure good locations.

I’m just hoping to get some advice for beginners I guess where should I start? I’m happy to catch anything. But I do love flatties.

Which lures do I need?

Maybe just a starting location for me to start and practice (while maybe being able to catch something)

Can I lure fishing from a jetty or do I have to be on a river?

Will any rod do?

Any help would be awesome! I know we all start from the beginning so I’m hoping someone can help me out and get me started! I’m hooked on it!

Thanks !!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Lure Fishing Newbie!!

Post by bowl » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Metal lurres , diving lure X Rap will catch salmon ,course ,pike..
Soft plastics gulp , z man ect salmon ,flathead , pinkie's...
Salmon on surf beach 9ft rod..
,7 ft or bigger light rod for plastics.

Braid ,fluorocarbon leader.
I'm sure of more experience members that lure fish can give rod n reel recommendations....generally stradic if ya got cash ,or sienna if ya after budget reel

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:29 am

Hey Swanny. Flatties are probably one of the easier targets for artificial baits so you're in luck. They will hit almost anything that moves if you can get it close enough to them. If you just want to have a crack then use a rod you already have that is able to cast light weights (between 4 and 15lb line class) a reel in the 2500 size range with 6-12lb line. Grab yourself a few curl tail grub soft plastics in 2.5"-3.5" (I like zman brand) and a some jig heads in various weights (1/8 - 1/4 oz) and sizes (2 - 2/0). Hit up any jetty or bay beach and start casting. Your aim is to use the lightest jig head you can cast effectively, let the grub hit the bottom and then work it back to you slowly with rod lifts, slow rolls, jerks and pauses, always allowing the grub to get back on the bottom with at least 5 seconds of a pause as this is usually when a flatty will strike. Cover as much ground as you can and remember to keep your line tight at all times. Check out YouTube for some ideas on retrieve styles. Flatties are everywhere but I focus on the sand next to the weed beds and reefs or gravel bottoms. Don't cast into the weed as it just fowls up the hook.

Once you get one you'll likely be hooked on fishing plastics and want to spend money on gear designed for the purpose.it doesn't have to be pricey but don't skimp on reel too much as you'll be giving it a workout every session. I do like and use Stradic and Ci4 but they aren't cheap. I own and use a few Sienna's too but they get a bit loose and grindy after not long and get relegated to drowning worms mostly. The blokes in the tackle stores will help you out with advice on gear and parting with your hard earned.

Be sure to post back with a photo of your first catch and a good fishing tale or 2.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 am

Fishing for both redfin and flathead with soft plastics is highly effective and addictive.

Also, there is always the chance of catching something larger on the same lure :-D
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:08 am

welcome.
quite a few of us here fish lures a lot, and if you do a search almost everythign you will need to know has been covered.

flathead and pinkies are going to be the easiest for saltwater you can target

have a Look at fellow member linwads posts, as he is probably your best bet for beginners
and also his youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LandFishTV

quite a lot more members here (mazman, troutandstream) do videos so once you have some time do a search and start watching.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 pm

purple5ive wrote:welcome.
quite a few of us here fish lures a lot, and if you do a search almost everythign you will need to know has been covered.

have a Look at fellow member linwads posts, as he is probably your best bet for beginners

quite a lot more members here (mazman, troutandstream) do videos so once you have some time do a search and start watching.
Steve can catch fish most of the time lol cant guantee the size tho

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:34 pm

smile0784 wrote:

Steve can catch fish most of the time lol cant guantee the size tho

Ehhh.. atleast im catching fish man hahaha...

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:51 pm

Yea true.
You get to fish a lot compared to me

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks for the shout out :).
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:17 am

Q:Which lures do I need?

A: A great general purpose lure that will catch pretty much everything is a Z-man Curly Tail in 2.5inch in motor oil colour. Everything seems to love them and I have caught lots of flathead and a few pinkies on them, with bream and pike thrown in there as well. That lure teamed up with a 1/0, 1/16oz size jig head and you are in for a chance.

If you are chasing the bigger models I would upgrade that to a 3 or 4 inch Paddle tail type lure with a 1/8oz weight jig head (I generally use size 1/0).

Apart from the motor oil colour I like to run more natural colours that look similar to the bait fish that hand around.

Q: Can I lure fishing from a jetty or do I have to be on a river?

A: Simple answer is everywhere! Anywhere there is water you can flick a soft plastic, they can be run on the bottom, mid water or even on the surface. I fish lots of rock walls, rivers and jetties with good success.

Q: Will any rod do?
A: You could use any rod, however you may not get the lure cast out far enough or be able to work the lure well. I would suggest a 7foot, 2-4kg graphite style rod that is designed for the work and as for a reel, I run Shimano Siennas on my plastic rods and they do well. For a general set up I use the 2500 size reel and for fun I use the smaller 1000 size reel on a 1-3kg rod.

A simple set up like that can be found at BCF or Anaconda on special for under $100 at the right time. Anaconda currently has one going for $79 I believe.

Line: I like to run braid 4lb to 10lb with a 4lb – 15lb fluorocarbon leader of at least 1.5m – for a newbie I would suggest around 8lb braid and a 10lb fluorocarbon leader. (can go lighter or heavier, I use really light stuff of 4lb main line and 4lb leader and still get decent fish but for someone new, I would suggest bigger)
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Return to “General”