Lure Fishing Newbie!!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Lure Fishing Newbie!!

Post by smile0784 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:46 am

Good reply

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 am

+1 on the motor oil curl tail grub, everything goes for them. I've caught flatties, bream, tailor, salmon and even a flounder on them. Zman make them and I bought a very similar thing from a local maker in lake tyres. If you can fish them with a 1/16oz jig head then you will need the right gear, light, fast rod and light line. Also no wind! I more often than not have to go heavier just so I can get a decent cast in. I don't think it matters too much for flatties, salmon, tailor but more finicky species like bream then you have to go as light as you can.

One more tip, use a small loop knot to tie on the jighead, I like lefty's loop but the perfection loop is good too, I just have to tie it 3 times before I remember it properly.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 am

skronkman wrote:+1 on the motor oil curl tail grub, everything goes for them. I've caught flatties, bream, tailor, salmon and even a flounder on them. Zman make them and I bought a very similar thing from a local maker in lake tyres. If you can fish them with a 1/16oz jig head then you will need the right gear, light, fast rod and light line. Also no wind! I more often than not have to go heavier just so I can get a decent cast in. I don't think it matters too much for flatties, salmon, tailor but more finicky species like bream then you have to go as light as you can.

One more tip, use a small loop knot to tie on the jighead, I like lefty's loop but the perfection loop is good too, I just have to tie it 3 times before I remember it properly.
I like clips. I change lures a lot and clips make life much easier. Decoy 00's are my fave.

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 am

Jigheads I always tie a proper knot.....I reckon the SP responds much better to subtle twitching than with a loop knot or clip. I use Decoy clips for all other lures though.

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:19 am

Broomstick wrote:
skronkman wrote:+1 on the motor oil curl tail grub, everything goes for them. I've caught flatties, bream, tailor, salmon and even a flounder on them. Zman make them and I bought a very similar thing from a local maker in lake tyres. If you can fish them with a 1/16oz jig head then you will need the right gear, light, fast rod and light line. Also no wind! I more often than not have to go heavier just so I can get a decent cast in. I don't think it matters too much for flatties, salmon, tailor but more finicky species like bream then you have to go as light as you can.

I like clips. I change lures a lot and clips make life much easier. Decoy 00's are my fave.
Clips are good. It can be difficult to find clips small enough to suit a light setup but they do make lure changing much easier. I use them always for squid jigs and infrequently for plastics too.

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:30 am

Stumpjumper wrote:Jigheads I always tie a proper knot.....I reckon the SP responds much better to subtle twitching than with a loop knot or clip. I use Decoy clips for all other lures though.
The trick to using a loop knot on lures I reckon is to get the loop small enough that it's not tight on the eye of the lure but is still big enough to be a loop. A loop diameter of about 5mm is my desired goal. It's tricky to tie em like that but I still think it gives a better action. Especially on line above 6lb. Although my fishing buddy just uses a blood knot and 15lb Fluorocarbon and outfishes me some days so it's possibly just in my head. Flatties won't care, bream and trout maybe more so.

Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:36 am

I could never see the point of tying a loop knot on lures that already have a split ring as the tow point. Always a risk of the leader slipping into the split ring and breaking or slipping too. I do a fair bit of trout fishing in clear water and have not noticed any negatives to using an appropriate sized clip to the lure. Large clips can affect small floating lures though.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 am

Most of my fishing is for bream using extremely light gear. The decoy 00's aren't much bigger in profile than a split ring, and are a fair bit lighter than most split rings. I reckon you'd be crazy not to use a clip - they make life SO much easier. In a day's fishing I might go through 20 lures and it's much easier to just clip on a new one. And I don't have to worry about my leader shortening with each lure change.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Save your money lol I love lure fishing sometimes it feels like I’ve thrown a $50 in the drink after a session.

Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:21 pm

HeHe.....that's the beauty of soft plastics mate. Gets you in the game for very little cost, and you don't cry when you lose a couple of Jackalls.

Return to “General”