whats better brown trout or rainbow trout? And why?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

whats better brown trout or rainbow trout? And why?

Post by trout-hunter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Hey all,
Just wondering what do you prefer to catch? Im a brown trout fan, mainly because of there color and territorial behavior. Rainbows run good and jump a lot when hooked even put up more of a fight, i find that browns put up there best fight the second you think there worn out. So im wondering witch trout makes your day?
20150910_102029.jpeg

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Re: whats better brown trout or rainbow trout? And why?

Post by russellh2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:17 am

Brown trout - Absolute sluggers.

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Same dog, different leg.

trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by trout-hunter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm

benders wrote:Same dog, different leg.
Yeah but theres gotta be one that you like more than the other, like parents that have twins. There the same but 1 is a litte **** so the parents secretly like the other one a little bit more.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:59 pm

browns, in a lake stay down and fight rainbows in a river thats my 2cents

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:51 pm

trout-hunter wrote:
benders wrote:Same dog, different leg.
Yeah but theres gotta be one that you like more than the other, like parents that have twins. There the same but 1 is a litte sh*t so the parents secretly like the other one a little bit more.
Ok. If I had to make a choice, it would be rainbows because they have a cool racing stripe down the side.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Bloody good question there mate! Two completely different fish though imo...

Rainbows are very energetic, more acrobatics during the fight, feed more regularly therefore easier to tempt, however are imbred stocks and unfortunately die well before their time.

Browns are sluggers that will test an angler's patience. They certainly jump, but spend most of the fight down deep. They also feed more sporadically, and grow much bigger. A territorial bugger that belts around the rainbows.

Personally I prefer browns. Much more of a challenge, and have much more chance of reaching "vic trophy size". If the rainbows were better genetically and on par with the browns, I'd rate them equally I reckon. Would love one of each over 10lb on the wall to admire forever...preferably over 20lbs!! One day...

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:31 pm

I prefer the browns mainly because they're a real challenge to catch most of the time, where as the rainbows are more aggressive and will take just about any thing you throw at them.. Still the rainbows are great fighters for their size too, small 'bows (250/270 gms approx) will fight as hard as a 400 gram brown in a river. Can't say anything about them in lakes as I only fish rivers.. Browns & rainbows here in Tasmania's river are all wild fish..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:48 pm

meppstas wrote:I prefer the browns mainly because they're a real challenge to catch most of the time, where as the rainbows are more aggressive and will take just about any thing you throw at them.. Still the rainbows are great fighters for their size too, small 'bows (250/270 gms approx) will fight as hard as a 400 gram brown in a river. Can't say anything about them in lakes as I only fish rivers.. Browns & rainbows here in Tasmania's river are all wild fish..

cheers
Adrian
Tassy is like a different world...it's one place I'd love to explore. Curious mate, have you ever chased any of the sea run trout down there? They get some good'uns from my understanding.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Redhunter wrote:Tassy is like a different world
I think Redhunter is referring to this!:

http://www.goulburnpost.com.au/story/48 ... all-trout/

A major advantage that Tassie has is many of the best trout streams connect directly to the sea - giving them access to large populations of bait minnows. By contrast in Victoria many trout streams connect to the lowlands north of the great divide. Where streams head to the coast the trout growth rate is much better.

I've caught both species of trout out of streams up to 8 pounds and in both cases the biggest of each was taken on fly tackle. I'd state that the fighting abilities of browns are quite overrated - in fact a 1 kg carp fights at least as well as a 1 kg brown on the same tackle. The use of very light tackle (eg fly leaders or 2 kg spin tackle) exaggerates the fighting ability of browns and I can think of quite a number of freshwater species which leave them for dead if caught on similar light tackle, eg barra, sooties, saratoga, jungle perch, trout cod and bass. By contrast, rainbows are a much better fighter and more exciting to catch. Small rainbows might be stupid but in my experience the big rainbows can be just as wary as the big browns.

Having said that, if it is the complete package and not just fighting ability then browns are an excellent sport fish due to the methods used, the beautiful habitat and their wariness.

If forced to make a decision I would go in favour of the rainbows. Hearing the lure rattle as they try to shake it free is a wonderful experience. And while browns are a very pretty fish they can't match the absolutely spectacular colours of rainbows out of lakes such as Modewarre etc.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “General”