Report: Welshpool 17,18,19th

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Report: Welshpool 17,18,19th

Post by scott__henning » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:15 pm

With the new boat I had lined up this weekend as a fishing weekend regardless of weather.

Day 1: Got down to Welshpool about 6pm on Friday after knocking off a tad early for the day, and we began the hunt for some squid. Luckily we found a few quickly, as I had forgotten to bring any other bait!

Got out to Singapore deep and had a good sound around before finally finding something worth dropping on. Even so, the tide had already turned and with the fish biting on the slack recently, I wasn’t sure how we’d go.
6403A0F1-F608-4F8B-892B-F30A74BF8DB4.jpeg
Ended up picking up 3 gummies to 4 foot over a few hours before calling it a night and heading back in. Got home at midnight and set the alarm for 3.30am.

Day 2: funny how easy it is to get up when your going fishing. Got back down to Welshpool at 5am and today I was out in a mates Edencraft, as Davey Marine had a weekend owners trip down at Refuge Cove, we were just going for the day though.

It was horrendous offshore with confused slop on top of a big short swell, but we got to refuge in time for the catered breakfast :cheers:
34687A35-91E8-4D0C-A8BB-67B4DA9DDC88.jpeg
Some nice looking boats down there, and we spent the rest of the morning test driving and jumping 6m edencrafts and formulas over the huge swell that was rolling in. I can’t say I’ve ever done that before (deliberately) so it certainly got the adrenaline pumping! I’ll get the photos in a few weeks so look be sure to share them.

Spent the arvo micro jigging pinkies for a bit of fun before heading back to Welshpool for a pub dinner and an early nights sleep!

Day 3: It was low tide at 8.20 so I wasn’t in a huge rush to hit the water, ended up launching at 7am. Sounded around, didn’t see much so parked on a mark from last season and got the rods in the water.
493D0C23-AD82-4827-9B7F-5A72CD3B0B31.jpeg
As soon as the tide slackened it was game on, with multiple buckles and screeming drags galore! I dropped the first fish that took a massive run, but got another chance minutes later, landing a decent 7kg fish, my first proper snapper personally for the season.
354202A7-67CC-486F-A16A-57D60BA78868.jpeg
We ended up with half a dozen and called it a day at 10am. Needless to say I’m a bit worn out from a big weekend but it was good to get some hours on the water that’s for sure!

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Report: Welshpool 17,18,19th

Post by Mattblack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Well done..never fished there, but it looks like a beautiful part of the world

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Well done

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Great stuff! Nice work :thumbsup:

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Nice trip by the sounds of it, and quite successful too! 4 ft gummies and some big snapper are a nice catch for sure!!

I found the same last year at Singapore deep. When its moving fast, no bites, but as soon as the tides swung around and the current slacked off, we hooked up on about 8 decent snapper around the 5-6kg mark (about 84cm average length) and 2 gummies. Was planning to get down there again this year for the snapper (just not sure when I'll get the time off work though), and wouldn't even mind shooting around to Glennies Islands and try my luck at the kingies there. :thumbsup:

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Great stuff, excellent report. Love the new boat!

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Spewing, I had no deckies so had to cancel. Looked nice out there

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Davidsch1 wrote:Nice trip by the sounds of it, and quite successful too! 4 ft gummies and some big snapper are a nice catch for sure!!

I found the same last year at Singapore deep. When its moving fast, no bites, but as soon as the tides swung around and the current slacked off, we hooked up on about 8 decent snapper around the 5-6kg mark (about 84cm average length) and 2 gummies. Was planning to get down there again this year for the snapper (just not sure when I'll get the time off work though), and wouldn't even mind shooting around to Glennies Islands and try my luck at the kingies there. :thumbsup:
Yep same, very similar last year.

I’ll be doing some big kingy runs this year that’s for sure ;-)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:04 am

scott__henning wrote:
Davidsch1 wrote:Nice trip by the sounds of it, and quite successful too! 4 ft gummies and some big snapper are a nice catch for sure!!

How far you go for kings

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:52 am

smile0784 wrote:
scott__henning wrote:

How far you go for kings
Depends. You can get em 3 minutes from the ramp some days, or out at cliffy or rabbit island, bout a 30k run from the ramp.

But the big ones are usually found a lot further away....

Return to “General”