Blitz at Werribèe South

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Tam77

Re: Blitz at Werribèe South

Post by Tam77 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Texas wrote:Having never owned a boat, I thought the old yellow vests lasted for forever
A bloke was going out with wife & 3 kids. At least 1 vest must have been out of date, don't know where he got the new one, but he was not fined.
Then I learnt that the inflatables need to be tested every year, at around $100 each.
In the last week or so I've learnt about PFD's & how to cross a bar.
Oz lotto is $30 mill. tonight, if I win I might buy a boat. Seems like you'd need a few million to keep one going.

Gra
The acronym for BOAT is Bring Out Another Thousand for a reason.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Tam77 wrote:I was checked when I came back in and we got a pass after having a discussion about whether my boat should have oars on board. The cop was adamant that all boats should have them. I giggled and said I wouldn't have much luck stretching to either side of the boat let alone be able to get them to touch the water. Mines 7.6m. :rofl: I would be hard pressed rowing my fat bottomed girl down the channel. He went and checked his rule book with an apology to follow. But passed on everything else. It pays to know your rules and your safety gear. They were nice enough guys just doing their job. The fisheries guy informed me that next year they won't be letting you fillet your flatties on the water. I had my carcasses but be warned that rules changing.
As per section 4 of vic boating handbook ors only needed upto and including a 4.8mt size boat

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Texas wrote:Having never owned a boat, I thought the old yellow vests lasted for forever
A bloke was going out with wife & 3 kids. At least 1 vest must have been out of date, don't know where he got the new one, but he was not fined.
Then I learnt that the inflatables need to be tested every year, at around $100 each.
In the last week or so I've learnt about PFD's & how to cross a bar.
Oz lotto is $30 mill. tonight, if I win I might buy a boat. Seems like you'd need a few million to keep one going.

Gra
At 100 each for service you can pick them up new on special at $79. Lol

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:39 pm

snapper hunter wrote:
Boonanza wrote:Do the right thing from the start & you don't have anything to worry about. It's just like speed cameras and booze buses if you don't speed and don't drink & drive then you have nothing worry about. :thumbsup:
Sorry mate but i don't agree, getting fined for not sticking the rego sticker on your boat, but its in the glovebox of the boat, is that fair?
Fines for not servicing your inflatable life jacket...... some people are not aware they even need to be serviced.
Fine for hull numbers not in the right spot....... WTF? I boat the boat like that! I didn''t even put them there.

Speeding and drink driving are well publicised to promote public awareness, its not like that at all.
Where does it say in the regs that rego sticker needs to be atuck on the boat? From memory it says visable so if you can produce it on request does that count at visable?

I believe it says in the regs that the letters for hull id need to be on the front of the bow
If its your boat your responsible to make sure it complies with all regulations before launching.
A builder cant go i new that was faulty so i left it cos it was built by a someone else possible a doesnt know any of the rules and regs.
Ita not amateur hour when live are at risk

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Tam77 wrote:I was checked when I came back in and we got a pass after having a discussion about whether my boat should have oars on board. The cop was adamant that all boats should have them. I giggled and said I wouldn't have much luck stretching to either side of the boat let alone be able to get them to touch the water. Mines 7.6m. :rofl: I would be hard pressed rowing my fat bottomed girl down the channel. He went and checked his rule book with an apology to follow. But passed on everything else. It pays to know your rules and your safety gear. They were nice enough guys just doing their job. The fisheries guy informed me that next year they won't be letting you fillet your flatties on the water. I had my carcasses but be warned that rules changing.
Your female
You like fishing,
and you own a 7.6m boat.

She's a keeper. :super:

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:15 pm

smile0784 wrote:
snapper hunter wrote:
Boonanza wrote:Do the right thing from the start & you don't have anything to worry about. It's just like speed cameras and booze buses if you don't speed and don't drink & drive then you have nothing worry about. :thumbsup:
Sorry mate but i don't agree, getting fined for not sticking the rego sticker on your boat, but its in the glovebox of the boat, is that fair?
Fines for not servicing your inflatable life jacket...... some people are not aware they even need to be serviced.
Fine for hull numbers not in the right spot....... WTF? I boat the boat like that! I didn''t even put them there.

Speeding and drink driving are well publicised to promote public awareness, its not like that at all.
Where does it say in the regs that rego sticker needs to be atuck on the boat? From memory it says visable so if you can produce it on request does that count at visable?

I believe it says in the regs that the letters for hull id need to be on the front of the bow
If its your boat your responsible to make sure it complies with all regulations before launching.
A builder cant go i new that was faulty so i left it cos it was built by a someone else possible a doesnt know any of the rules and regs.
Ita not amateur hour when live are at risk
Where does it say it in the regs? I'll be f#$ked if I am going to waste my time looking for that.
You should get 2 warnings before getting a fine, they should only fine for serious problems, like taking kids on the boat without life jackets, etc.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:29 pm

REGISTRATION LABELS AND
IDENTIFICATION MARKS

Under the Marine Safety Regulations the owner
of a registered recreational vessel must ensure
that the registration label for that vessel, issued by
VicRoads on behalf of Transport Safety Victoria, is
fixed and remains fixed in an obvious position on
the outside or upper part of the vessel.
The owner of a registered recreational vessel
that is not a personal watercraft must ensure
that the assigned identification mark is painted
or displayed:
• on each side of the hull of the vessel
• forward of the beam
• so that the highest part of each digit
commences at a point no more than
75 millimetres below the gunwale
• in characters that are:
- no less than 150 millimetres high
- in proportionate breadth
- coloured in contrast to the surface on which
they are displayed.
Recreational tenders are required to display
the name of its mother ship or the registration
number of that vessel and the letter ‘T’.

The owner of a registered personal watercraft
must ensure that the assigned identification
mark is painted or displayed:
• forward of the beam
25 millimetres below the gunwale
- no less than 100 millimetres high
- coloured in contrast to the surface
on which they are displayed.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Boonanza wrote:REGISTRATION LABELS AND
IDENTIFICATION MARKS

Under the Marine Safety Regulations the owner
of a registered recreational vessel must ensure
that the registration label for that vessel, issued by
VicRoads on behalf of Transport Safety Victoria, is
fixed and remains fixed in an obvious position on
the outside or upper part of the vessel.
The owner of a registered recreational vessel
that is not a personal watercraft must ensure
that the assigned identification mark is painted
or displayed:
• forward of the beam
75 millimetres below the gunwale
- no less than 150 millimetres high
- coloured in contrast to the surface on which
they are displayed.
Recreational tenders are required to display
the name of its mother ship or the registration
number of that vessel and the letter ‘T’.

The owner of a registered personal watercraft
must ensure that the assigned identification
mark is painted or displayed:
• forward of the beam
25 millimetres below the gunwale
- no less than 100 millimetres high
- coloured in contrast to the surface
on which they are displayed.
thanks just had to look it up
page 25 VICTORIAN RECREATIONAL BOATING SAFETY HANDBOOK JULY 2015

i you dont know the rules and regs how did you pass you oat licence test?

Tam77

Post by Tam77 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:53 pm

snapper hunter wrote:
Your female
You like fishing,
and you own a 7.6m boat.

Haha thankyou I love fishing. Still a lot to learn though. I don't get out as much as I'd like to.

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Tam77 wrote:
snapper hunter wrote:
Your female
You like fishing,
and you own a 7.6m boat.

Haha thankyou I love fishing. Still a lot to learn though. I don't get out as much as I'd like to.
Tell me about it !

Return to “General”