Latrobe River, Noojee?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Mitta

Re: Latrobe River, Noojee?

Post by Mitta » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Fished with a mate (we are relatively novice flyfishers) upstream of the town late last season (May).

The water looked magnificent and I was rather excited at what I saw - in the first instance.

In the final analysis, we didn't see nor look like seeing a fish. Clear water and a mainly sandy bottom. For us, too many overhanging trees/scrub which
1. Made approaching those 'fishy' spots difficult.
and
2. Made casting into those 'fishy' spots difficult.

We left at the end of the day, having decided (in our wisdom) that there were no fish (trout) there.

Since then, conversations with (more experienced) others who know the place, with wry and knowing smiles on their faces, would have one thinking differently.

Gotta be honest . . . . I'm not in a rush to go back. And yes . . . . the leeches abound (in an afternoon, I had three experiences). That's almost as many as I have had in one day in the financial district of Melbourne city.

Good luck with your foray . . . .

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Mitta wrote:Fished with a mate (we are relatively novice flyfishers) upstream of the town late last season (May).

The water looked magnificent and I was rather excited at what I saw - in the first instance.

In the final analysis, we didn't see nor look like seeing a fish. Clear water and a mainly sandy bottom. For us, too many overhanging trees/scrub which
1. Made approaching those 'fishy' spots difficult.
and
2. Made casting into those 'fishy' spots difficult.

We left at the end of the day, having decided (in our wisdom) that there were no fish (trout) there.

Since then, conversations with (more experienced) others who know the place, with wry and knowing smiles on their faces, would have one thinking differently.

Gotta be honest . . . . I'm not in a rush to go back. And yes . . . . the leeches abound (in an afternoon, I had three experiences). That's almost as many as I have had in one day in the financial district of Melbourne city.

Good luck with your foray . . . .
caught 4 brown trout on spinners, in 6 hours but they were absolutely tiny like 5-10 cm. I did see a 30 cm trout caught by a guy wading the river. All up it was ok, but i would rather be catching trout at least 20 cm.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:09 pm

give it a couple of months and the trout fishing will improve
quid est quod eum

Return to “General”