Barometer readings

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
nmgar

Re: Barometer readings

Post by nmgar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:49 pm

I've read many times that rising/high barometric pressure is best for fishing but I don't understand why.

Air pressure at sea level varies around 1 atmosphere; at 10 metres underwater the pressure has increased to 2 atmospheres.

Any change in atmospheric pressure due to high or low pressure systems, say from 950 to 1020 kPa can only be a change of about 0.1 atmosphere.

That's the same change experienced by the fish if they move from 10 metres deep to 11 metres deep, where I wouldn't expect the fish to come on or off the bite.

What am I missing?
Cheers,
Neil

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:51 pm

rb85 wrote:Purple I tend to fish when time allows and the weather is suitable but still keep an eye on the barometer.

Low pressure and High pressure systems that you see Jane Bunn talk about on the news relate to the barometer.

A low pressure system is associated with poor weather and the barometric pressure drops a high is typically good weather and has a higher barometer. Rising Barometers from a low to a high and a change in pressure prior to a low can be the best time to go fishing.
Does jane bunn talk ??

Ive caught most off my big snapper on a dropping barometer ...how much that counts ive got no idea

But I do know any chance I get I will go for a fish....rising or falling.

have access to nude up secret spot book sure helps.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:02 pm

hey steve, while you're downloading, also put in http://www.fishingreminder.com link, put in your location & it'll have some bonus info for your planning :cheers:

generally I find the rising barometer, rising tide and a bit of wind all present the ideal conditions. When the barometer is over 1020, generally its fish on.
quid est quod eum

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:58 pm

I find like others rising or high barometer means better fishing. I feel it effects fresh water species more so than salt. Having said that mainly bass as that's mostly all my fresh water fishing. Low or fast dropping barometer may aswell forget about it. Over 1000 and the fish will bite. Salt water fishing if I have a window where I can go. I'll go regardless of barometer and hope for the best.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:51 pm

barometer reflects the general weather pattern. If it drops a lot most fish will go spastic for a few hours before going off the bite as bad weather sets in. All depends on how game you are to ride the incoming change out. Rising barometer generally brings better stable weather. Everything else becomes more active resulting it predators doing the same. Steady high or low barometer doesn't really produce exceptional fishing, a few fish, but not the numbers in my experiences

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:54 am

thanks guys, appreciate the input.
cobby hahaha yeah im not game enough to be a sitting duck in PPB when the weather turns.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 am

ratbag wrote:hey steve, while you're downloading, also put in http://www.fishingreminder.com link, put in your location & it'll have some bonus info for your planning :cheers:

generally I find the rising barometer, rising tide and a bit of wind all present the ideal conditions. When the barometer is over 1020, generally its fish on.
Cheers....this free website you linked is better than the 'fishing calendar' app I downloaded for $10 recently (it does the same thing, but has a lot more features)
Last edited by Mattblack on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:18 am

nmgar wrote:I've read many times that rising/high barometric pressure is best for fishing but I don't understand why.

Air pressure at sea level varies around 1 atmosphere; at 10 metres underwater the pressure has increased to 2 atmospheres.

Any change in atmospheric pressure due to high or low pressure systems, say from 950 to 1020 kPa can only be a change of about 0.1 atmosphere.

That's the same change experienced by the fish if they move from 10 metres deep to 11 metres deep, where I wouldn't expect the fish to come on or off the bite.

What am I missing?
I don't know how they sense it but I have read a couple of scientific studies that found that the behaviour of farmed trout changes depending on the weather. Whether the barometer affects all fish equally I don't know but it is certainly plausible and is backed up by a lot of annecdotal evidence from fishermen
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am

Another +1 for Fish Ranger.
Also I go whenever the time and conditions permit.
Good info from many about barometer effects.

Jamie

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:26 pm

4liters wrote:I don't know how they sense it but I have read a couple of scientific studies that found that the behaviour of farmed trout changes depending on the weather. Whether the barometer affects all fish equally I don't know but it is certainly plausible and is backed up by a lot of annecdotal evidence from fishermen
I'm not disputing that it happens, 4litres, It's just the physics of it that doesn't make sense to me.
Cheers,
Neil

Return to “General”