Is This Windy

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
TheLoneTurtle

Is This Windy

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Is 19km/hour windy? Might go to stockyard point tomorrow afternoon, low tide. But if 19km is too windy then i wont go.
Cheers

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Is This Windy

Post by Whiskers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:41 pm

20 kmh for me is a bit borderline, mainly because at that strength with tomorrows' temperature the wind chill factor will be high.

It won't be too strong to cast in as at stockyard you don't need to be a long caster to be in the fish zone. Depending on the wind direction French island may just reduce the wind strength a bit.

Good luck with the fishing.
:water:

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Personally it is for me, (19klms winds) I've got a 6m boat. The boat would handle it fine but it's not comfortable.
From memory tomorrow's winds are generally WSW so maybe on the north side of the island would be better.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Your definition of 'too windy' might be very different to someone else's. Your best bet is to go and find out for yourself.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Broomstick wrote:Your definition of 'too windy' might be very different to someone else's. Your best bet is to go and find out for yourself.
Exactly! I can't help you with conditions down there. But at worst you will work out that next time when it's blowing that much if it's fishable or not. Get out and have a crack. You won't catch them on the couch!

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:01 am

Whiskers wrote:20 kmh for me is a bit borderline, mainly because at that strength with tomorrows' temperature the wind chill factor will be high.

It won't be too strong to cast in as at stockyard you don't need to be a long caster to be in the fish zone. Depending on the wind direction French island may just reduce the wind strength a bit.

Good luck with the fishing.
:water:
Cheers mate, i think a pair of thermals, jeans, waders, 2 long sleeve tops, 1 big rain coat, 1 massive warm jacket, a robbery mask, gumboots and sunglasses should do me just fine :rofl:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:36 am

Depending on how keen you are there's somewhere to fish in 19km winds.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:36 pm

did you go out?
how did you find it?

important question, did you catch anything?

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 pm

smile0784 wrote:did you go out?
how did you find it?

Honestly way to windy at a place at stockyard where its just a big open area. Because the winds were heavier there, the weeds got stirred off the muddy bottom of western port. These weeds were muddy and were coming in massive portions, they even set my drag off (along with the heavy current). It was just me, no bites, no fish. Never going in that climate again, also the winds were fresh and freezing. :oops:

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 pm

TheLoneTurtle wrote:
smile0784 wrote:did you go out?
how did you find it?

Honestly way to windy at a place at stockyard where its just a big open area. Because the winds were heavier there, the weeds got stirred off the muddy bottom of western port. These weeds were muddy and were coming in massive portions, they even set my drag off (along with the heavy current). It was just me, no bites, no fish. Never going in that climate again, also the winds were fresh and freezing. :oops:
The best way to learn is experience. You can listen to people all you like but you still always wonder in the back of your mind.
Ive tried heaps of things that people told me wouldnt work and found they work the best.
Also found things people tell me are a sure thing dont eventuate.

Had plenty of good tips too. Just try it for yaself and then you definitely know.

Return to “General”