Long Jetty - Work Begins.

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Long Jetty - Work Begins.

Post by mingle » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Mixed feelings really - there's been a lot less crap in the water since it's been devoid of brainless bogan anglers - plastic bags, fag-ends, can, bottles, etc.
Remember, these were the clowns that burnt it down in the first place...

The cormorants have also set up an unofficial colony at the far end of the jetty. But I guess it's a good spot for kids to get a crack at some good fish.

I think (and this is only from the times I've fished in the yak) that KG whiting are the most prized catch, followed by squid.

Schools of rat kingies also hang around, but can be incredibly hard to tempt.

Not sure about snapper, but I guess anything that comes withing range at the top-end of the port will be a target.

Mike.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:32 pm

That's one serious long jetty ! I've already started to build my long range fishing cart ! I'll post a pic when it's finished...

He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 pm

hornet wrote:That's one serious long jetty ! I've already started to build my long range fishing cart ! I'll post a pic when it's finished...

Maybe you need one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221532463673

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:51 am

mingle wrote:Mixed feelings really - there's been a lot less crap in the water since it's been devoid of brainless bogan anglers - plastic bags, fag-ends, can, bottles, etc.
Remember, these were the clowns that burnt it down in the first place...

The cormorants have also set up an unofficial colony at the far end of the jetty. But I guess it's a good spot for kids to get a crack at some good fish.

I think (and this is only from the times I've fished in the yak) that KG whiting are the most prized catch, followed by squid.

Schools of rat kingies also hang around, but can be incredibly hard to tempt.

Not sure about snapper, but I guess anything that comes withing range at the top-end of the port will be a target.

Mike.
I fished out of Welshpool a little bit this year, in February/March when I was there the boats fishing around the jetty were as you say catching KG whiting. A couple of guys I was talking to had some taken by Kings on the way to the boat. So if that sort of fishing was available to land based anglers and was respected as you mention above. It can only be good for the area if its sensibly sustained. :thumbsup:

P.S. Great photo Hornet

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Brett wrote: I'd be thinking Kingfish would be a more noteworthy catch.
Its a great FAD for them, funny tho when the kingies are swimming around & not taking any baits/lures just stirring up the fishers :rofl:
quid est quod eum

bilby

Post by bilby » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Yes - I saw some in Docklands earlier this year (I least I think they were kingfish). Others have since confirmed the sighting. Zero interest in the lures I threw at them!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:32 am

When I fish welshy I usually anchor right up close to the end of the jetty on the north side. Plenty of good bait fish around there before heading for snapper. KG, Salmon, Mullet, Trevally and Yakkas by the plenty. Yet to catch squid there and haven't seen any Kingies. Although did manage a few barely sized pinkies.

I don't fish land based, so this doesn't really interest me that much. While it's closed down to gives easy access to boaters for bait fish without being in the way of land based fisherman cleaning it out.

But I'm selfish and don't care for LB fisherman, so yeah :)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:02 am

I have seen kingfish once in the lewis channel in 30 years and heard of them being caught there two other times.

Yes it can happen but it is extremely unlikely.

Kim keep in mind plenty of wood keeps falling off and is floating around in the Inlet. Several boats had wrecked legs and damaged hulls when colliding with the semi submerged logs from the long jetty.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:00 pm

frozenpod wrote:Kim keep in mind plenty of wood keeps falling off and is floating around in the Inlet. Several boats had wrecked legs and damaged hulls when colliding with the semi submerged logs from the long jetty.
First I've heard of that.

Take the good with the bad I suppose lol

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Few pics and a bit of info here.
http://www.southgippsland.vic.gov.au/longjetty

Return to “General”