What is the purpose of these masks

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

What is the purpose of these masks

Post by hornet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:58 pm

What is the useful purpose for these masks I see advertised on a lot of fishing sites ? apart from hiding your identity ? or hiding really ugly fishos .. :rofl:

He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Sinsemilla

Re: What is the purpose of these masks

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm

I think its compulsory uniform for tournament bream anglers.. or land based squid anglers..

Anth

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Hahahaha yeah if you fish for bream on lures, you need to wear one otherwise you cant catch them...

But in all honesty, i also knocked it with the same mentality as others who have never used it before in the pretext of it makes you look like a terrorist for a start, and whats exactly does it do is anyones guess.
That was until i actually got a free one as a deal when i bought a daiwa Reel.
it genuinely works to keep cold off from your neck area, keeps your neck and face from being sunburnt and also helps to keep your face from getting sun and wind burn.
i was extremely suprised the first time i wore one, and have used one ever since.
its really hand in the cold, specially when you have a console boat and have no protection from wind hitting your face.
i guess this is probably another reason why the bream guys wear them as some of those comp boats can go 100K/hr plus and usually in winter tournaments it comes into its own.

also if fishing beaches, using one of these to cover you face and nose will prevent the feeling of the blocked nose and throat you get when you get home due to the salt spray that gets into your nose. (might not be applicable to everyone, but certainly worked for me)

my only negative about them is that in winter if you wear sunnies or glasses they can cause them to fog up if you pull it over your nose like in the pic.

i found them so helpfull that i got my dad one, and now even he doesnt go without using them.
dont knock them until you try them. cause thats what i did and i was instantly suprised when i actually used one.

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:56 pm

There cheaper than getting skin cancers cut off your face,and a lot less stressful.

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:06 pm

They're worn by pros in tournaments sometimes. Good for preventing sunburns. They have sleeves made out of similar material which go over your arms.

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:27 pm

I have worries about skin cancer but I bought something less intimidating.

https://sunprotection.com.au/product/ca ... -ultimate/
Cheers,
Neil

hornet

Post by hornet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:35 pm

purple5ive You make a good argument for wearing one, I'd never thought about the open boat running at speed in winter ... or the surf scenario for that matter, If it does block UV rays then yes it would help avoid skin cancers. Some of the designs are really in your face ! I prefer the more sedate designs if I wore one I think... but that's a personal thing.

hornet

Post by hornet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:36 pm

nmgar wrote:I have worries about skin cancer but I bought something less intimidating.

https://sunprotection.com.au/product/ca ... -ultimate/
I like that ! much more discreet..

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:43 pm

The buff are amazing, you don't realise how much difference they make on a cold night, until you forget to wear it.
They also keep you cool in summer, just dunk them in the water and you have air conditioning of the neck. Came in very handy at the last cod trip for me, as I usually wear collared spf50 shirts and stupid I went out with just a singlet on for about 6hrs , felt rather ill on our evening trip until I dunked the buff in the river and put it on, was almost about to get murlz to take me back to camp for a rest, before that.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:28 pm

I seen people mainly wear them as a wind barier

Return to “General”