Report Illegal Fishing!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
tropicalfisher

Report Illegal Fishing!

Post by tropicalfisher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi all,

For those who consider this too long to read, the condensed version is: Report illegal fishing in Victoria to ensure fishing for future years to come. Skip to section which begins in green.

Story time. I am in New York City for the week and was taking a walk with a friend along one of the beaches about 15 km from the city. We came across a pier called Steeplechase Pier, off which many people were fishing. We had just arrived when someone caught a flounder (known as summer flounder or fluke). Not fishing much in New York, I asked him how large legal size is. He said 19 inches (48 cm). The flounder measured at 14 inches, so back in the water it went. I wish the story ended there.

My friend and I were on the pier for about an hour and were getting ready to go home when we saw someone fishing off the pier quite close to shore land another flounder. I was quite closeby and could tell that it was not legal, and so expected him to throw it back in the water. To my surprise, he tossed it into his bucket. As soon as I saw that, I went up to him and told him that the flounder was undersize and that he should not be keeping it. He clearly was not very interested in putting it back, despite my talking with him more urgently (since the flounder was in a bucket and I knew it would die soon). I began consider whether there were Fisheries officers nearby or someone I could inform, when he pulled out his phone and called his friend. From what I could hear, he was telling his friend to come get his fish. Of course, I knew at that point if I wanted to report him I would have to do it quickly, before his friend came and took the fish.

I went over to someone in a green collared uniform, hoping they would be able to help. Unfortunately, they were part of Parks Enforcement, which apparently has no enforcement ability over the fisheries. They told me to talk to a Parks Security officer if I saw one. I saw a Parks Security officer at the base of the pier, and informed them of the situation. However, she was not able to do anything either, as she did not have any tape measure or ruler against which to measure and photograph the fish. Feeling frustrated, I spoke with a police officer, who also said that he was unable to enforce anything. I suddenly thought of calling New York's Department of Environmental Conservation, and after being transferred a couple times, was put on with a Conservation Officer who was in the area. He managed to get to the pier before the fisherman's friend took the fish, and gave him two tickets: one for the flounder, which measured at 16.5 inches, and the other for collecting crabs which had eggs, which I was not aware that he had caught. Unfortunately, it was too late for the flounder, but the crabs were still alive.

Start reading here to skip the story: Victoria has a number which fisherman can call to report illegal activity, instead of going through the rigamarole that I did. However, they need help in spotting those who are breaking the law, as they are unable to patrol such a vast area themselves. I was informed that New York's Department of Environmental Conservation generally only has someone come around once a day, and it appalls me to think how many undersized fish are taken every day, every year. If you see someone fishing illegally and are able to call a fisheries officer but fail to do so, you are in the wrong as well. In addition, while I truly hope that none of you do so, if you are someone who takes undersized fish knowingly and is silently cursing me, let it be known that I do not care. I, and those who report you, are not snitches or tattletales; we are simply responsible fisherman would like to keep enjoying plentiful fishing for years and generations to come. I am sure that everyone here has read about or talked to an older fisherman who fondly remembers locations which used to have incredible fishing but do not any longer, like the 30 kg yellowtail kingfish which abounded in Port Phillip only a few decades ago. What happened to fisheries like these? Destroyed, at least in part, by fishermen who kept undersized fish or by fishermen who failed to report them. The King George whiting, snapper, flathead, gummy shark, squid, and many other fisheries which we know and love will be destroyed if we do not manage our fishing effectively. Please do not be fooled into thinking that because some species produce a lot of eggs or grow quickly, they are entirely resistant to fishing pressure. Atlantic cod produce 5 million eggs per spawning season and take only 2 to 4 years to mature (about the same as KG whiting and flathead), yet fisheries are at less than 5% of historical biomass. I know it is frustrating to catch a pinky and have it measure at 26 cm, but be environmentally conscious and release it. When you catch it again in a few years it will be well oversize, and importantly, will have had the chance to spawn and release thousands more snapper into the water to catch in the future.

I apologize for the long post, but hope that some will read and take the information to heart. Best of fishing to everyone! :thumbsup: :super: :water:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Report Illegal Fishing!

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Your missing a very important player in the field, Commercial fisherman.
im not sure how its run in the states, but here in PPB thats one of the main causes of fish depletion..
and yes taking undersized fish also happens regularly here, sometimes they get caught, sometimes they get away.
netting is slowly being banned in the bay, and the results are starting to speak for themselves already. the fisheries are also tightening up on rules and regulations.
so hopefully its a win win for all the recreational fisherman

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:24 pm

its the sad reality. that people will take what they don't need or are undersized or no allowed due to season.
have caught loads of undersized stuff always threw it back even a lot of oversized stuff.
problem i find in melbourne is the time frame between informing via the hotline in melbourne being in the west before they will take action.
as well as the 5 billion questions, an the frustration of the person doing the wrong thing leaving, before fisherys even consider coming out.
the system needs change. i think they should consider volunteer fisherys personal if they dont have the numbers. because if you are doing the wrong thing you should be punished or least educated. as just citizens informing ppl there doing the wrong thing don't always help.

kickboxed a fair few people doing the wrong thing, when clearly they where being ignorant even after being informed.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:20 pm

My pet hate is the rubish most inconsiderate fishos dump behind without a care. I always have to bring a garbage bag to collect after them so councils or port security dont ban us fishing there. Ive seen a fisho keeping a heap of undersize fish once, i too was bit anoyed so i liberated them when he wasnt looking and made a dash. That was years ago when i was a kid.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Out fishin the other day from St Leonards,Who pulls up next to me on the water -Mr Fisheries-Checks buckets and Fishing License.
Fisheries are always around our area.Ive been checked at 9pm on a week day at Indented Heads ramp.
I wouldn't think many fishos in our area keep under size fish,be more likely over the amount to sell to there mates in Melbourne
Kenle -I'm with you I'm always picking rubbish up from the Ramp and chucking in the back of my truck to dispose of later
A bit more thought wouldn't go astray

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:49 pm

In April I arrive back at the boat ramp on Portland and we are checked by fisheries. A few years ago, we were at Ryhll boat ramp and fisheries were there as well checking catches, we were pulled up by the water police and they also checked our catch.

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Kenle wrote:My pet hate is the rubish most inconsiderate fishos dump behind without a care. I always have to bring a garbage bag to collect after them so councils or port security dont ban us fishing there. Ive seen a fisho keeping a heap of undersize fish once, i too was bit anoyed so i liberated them when he wasnt looking and made a dash. That was years ago when i was a kid.
same im lucky where i fish has bins but others that go there seem not to use them :(

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:40 pm

A great motto I go by is "leave the area cleaner than it was when you arrived"

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Snitchers telltales etc are just ways of bullying whistleblowers trying to stop people from doing the wrong thing. Have called fisheries previously when witnessing deliberate illegal behaviour.

Keep Snitching.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:02 pm

If you want to witness a really stomach-churning sight, just visit the fish-cleaning area next to the Newhaven boat ramp in summer.

This photo only shows a small section of the shore and tells just part of the story. You'll have to imagine the smell for yourselves...

No wonder fishos get a bad reputation. Is it so hard for people to dispose of the fish-frames properly? And now - binning them is not the answer.
nhbr.jpg

Return to “General”