Report Illegal Fishing!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Report Illegal Fishing!

Post by rb85 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:32 pm

mingle wrote:If you want to witness a really stomach-churning sight, just visit the fish-cleaning area next to the Newhaven boat ramp in summer.

This photo only shows a small section of the shore and tells just part of the story. You'll have to imagine the smell for yourselves...

No wonder fishos get a bad reputation. Is it so hard for people to dispose of the fish-frames properly? And now - binning them is not the answer.
nhbr.jpg
Tide variation doesnt help.

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 am

purple5ive wrote:Your missing a very important player in the field, Commercial fisherman.
im not sure how its run in the states, but here in PPB thats one of the main causes of fish depletion..
and yes taking undersized fish also happens regularly here, sometimes they get caught, sometimes they get away.
netting is slowly being banned in the bay, and the results are starting to speak for themselves already. the fisheries are also tightening up on rules and regulations.
so hopefully its a win win for all the recreational fisherman
That is very true but I am sure that in Victoria, recreational fisherman play a significant part in fish depletion. I would imagine that sometimes, especially in freshwater, they might even catch more than commercial fisherman.

And believe me, I was delighted when I first read about how net fishing in the bay was being phased out, considering how destructive it is and how high bycatch rates are. However, that brings us to another important point: reporting potentially illegal net fishing. I have read about net fisherman who have handed in their licenses and are STILL fishing the bay with nets, which apparently they did not have to hand in. So we recreational fishermen still have a part to play in reporting such cases. The boat should bear a registration number which can be called in to determine which or not the boat is fishing legally.

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:05 am

Kenle wrote:My pet hate is the rubish most inconsiderate fishos dump behind without a care. I always have to bring a garbage bag to collect after them so councils or port security dont ban us fishing there. Ive seen a fisho keeping a heap of undersize fish once, i too was bit anoyed so i liberated them when he wasnt looking and made a dash. That was years ago when i was a kid.

Hahaha. Good stuff. And yes, the rubbish is the worst. Especially leftover fishing tackle and nets, which continues to trap and hook fish (it is so common that there is even a Wikipedia page called "ghost net"). I used to dislike that cast nets are not allowed in order to catch bait, but not realize that the fishery is much better for it. I have no doubt that some irresponsible people would discard old nets in the water. To me, one of the worst kinds of rubbish is glass beer bottles, especially if they are broken. They are so dangerous, especially as children love to play at the beach.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:30 am

ive rang the 13fish line 2 times, maybe 3. Each time i have rang, i have been called back within 30 mins. They were more than happy to take my call and the parks/fisheries guy who rang back was great.

The first time i was of fishermans beach (mornington) and saw some bubbles around the small reef. Went over and it was a diver, no flag visible etc. I circled him while on the phone. He popped up, i told him i was on the phone to fisheries and he left. Fisheries called back and came down but just missed him

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:50 am

Fishin this mornin 3 boats out I come in at 9 am -Guess whom is behind me on the ramp-Yes Mr Fisheries in plain clothes-All good
U got no chance of doing something shifty

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 pm

denis barden wrote:Fishin this mornin 3 boats out I come in at 9 am -Guess whom is behind me on the ramp-Yes Mr Fisheries in plain clothes-All good
U got no chance of doing something shifty
Any fish Dennis?? Was going to head out but wind put a stop to my plan

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:55 pm

More patrols need to be done at Queenscliff pier

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:16 pm

A few squid and a hand full of Gars .No Ting
Weather is lumpy and cold

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Saw the fisheries officers at Kirks Point with a couple of kayaks in tow the other week. Normally on a kayak you dont get checked by fisheries officers in boats as its too dangerous to pull alongside, maybe this is their workaround.

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:43 pm

denis barden wrote:A few squid and a hand full of Gars .No Ting
Weather is lumpy and cold
Seems to be very quiet lately the ting have to start soon

Return to “General”