Fishing spots?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Fishing spots?

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:11 am

What are peoples ideas on always fishing the same fishing spot.
For example i know nude up has his favourite secret spots that always produce fish.

Do other people keep going back to the same spot and always catch something there?

I had 2 pinkie spots in westenport and had 2 good days 2 weeks apart and the went back for a third day thinking more fish migrated in but it was completely dead.
Tried it 6 weeks later still dead.

Or just bad luck for me lol

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Fishing spots?

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:45 am

smile0784 wrote:What are peoples ideas on always fishing the same fishing spot.
I think when it comes to fishing or any hunting you aim for spots that fish would inhabit - so why did you head to this spot in the first place - fish will be doing a few basic things - first looking for food - looking for safe places to hide or looking for water ( a WP thing as you know some places dry out with a reducing tide )

So fish will filter into deeper water with the out going tide or back to feeding grounds on the incoming was your spot along a fish hwy with a reducing or incoming tide
is it an area where the fish has feed or somewhere it could hind or ambush prey

so you found fish at the same spot 2 weeks apart - was the tide the same or going the same direction - was the water temp the same - had a food source moved on
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 am

I just use nude ups secrer spots. ..no need for anything else.

Bm

bilby

Post by bilby » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am

If find in estuaries there tend to be better and worse "spots" depending on the fish you are seeking, but there are never any guarantees. I do know some spots in East Gippsland that are close to a guarantee of fish if you know the right techniques to use, however. Certain snags, weed beds and holes always seem to hold perch or luderick, for example - with remarkable consistency over a 20+ year period. Here in Melbourne, the same holds true for bream fishing in the Yarra, for instance, but less so for more migratory fish like snapper and mulloway. When they are in the system, they seem to follow the tide along the channel more than anything else - they can turn up just about anywhere I find - including very shallow water.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:44 am

I think most people have their favorite go to spot that regularly produces. I myself am one however I do enjoy searching and trying new area's to target different species.

Some spots may regularly produce fish due to the structure around them weather that be reefs, drop offs etc. It also is affected by the conditions on the day if they are not favorable that particular area may not hold fish that day.

In any type of fishing or hunting its better to check if the condition on the day are suitable for the area you are planning to hit and fish targeting.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:49 am

Whilst I do have many secret spots around vic they dont always produce. One thing fish like is structure be it a snag , channel edge , or a reef. I fish 90% in saltwater these days your greatest weapon is your sounder, secret spots are a help but if the fish are not there you have to make a cholce move on or burley in the hope that they will come.
I found snapper in a hole off werribee the other month caught 13 fish smallest 48 largest 76cm a great session shared the numbers with a few friends other people went there and were lucky but after a 2 week period they had moved on but one thing is assured they will be back its just a case of when thats where the sounder comes into play pass over have a look

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 am

Over many years I've built up some notes on certain area's that produce consistent results. I take note of the structure or depth of the area that I'm fishing, time of day and what the weather was doing and what I was using ie,lure type or bait. I then go through my notes when I'm up for a fish and pick the spot that matches them from my previous findings, it might be a bit pedantic but it seems to works most times.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 am

With rock fishing I feel like it often takes a year or more to really dial in how to fish a spot. There are a few places I fish often that have very specific times and techniques to use at different times of the year. Had I gone twice, decided 'this is no good, there's no fish here' and moved on i'd never have discovered some of the things I have over the past 4 years or so of rock fishing.

I don't think you can really figure a spot out without fishing it a dozen times all year round. Even for the same species, locations 1km apart fish incredibly differently, you can't apply a blanket rule without a deeper understanding of each spot and how it works. That's not to say similar techniques / times / tides / moon phases / lures / baits aren't applicable, just that each individual spot almost has it's own personality and you can't really get in touch with it unless you're there fairly often.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:12 am

A known spot that has produced in the past increases the percentages. Familiarity with the spot increases the percentage further. It is always worth giving them a shot while in the area, but dont put all your eggs in one basket, otherwise you wont find other hot spots.

Its often just a lucky bite that causes you to believe it is a hotspot, especially if you score a PB, against all reason you go back thinking it is the bees knees never to have a decent bite again.

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:18 am

Makes you wonder about all those times when you tried a new spot, caught a doughnut, and dismissed it as a never again spot.

Maybe the fish just weren't there that day but if you went two weeks later, you would have a dozen and made it your go-to spot.

Return to “General”