torradin boat ramp

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

torradin boat ramp

Post by barra mick » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:17 pm

I was at toradin today and had a quick look at the boat ramp and chanel.

There was only 6 boats in the carpark.

I was there on the low or pretty close to it and wondered how deep the chanel was and is it easy to navigate out on the low or do you launch on a higher tide?

from the naked eye it look shallow btw the chanel markers

The boat trailors didnt look like big boats.

bm

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: torradin boat ramp

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:25 pm

barra mick wrote:I was at toradin today and had a quick look at the boat ramp and chanel.

There was only 6 boats in the carpark.

I was there on the low or pretty close to it and wondered how deep the chanel was and is it easy to navigate out on the low or do you launch on a higher tide?

from the naked eye it look shallow btw the chanel markers

The boat trailors didnt look like big boats.

bm
I navigated it at night with a torch and no dramas, I just need to look for the brightest channel marker and then headed for it.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:27 am

tooradin requires a bit of knowledge to use.
I work in tooradin and launch from it often.

Depending on the size of your boat, depends on the height of the tide you can launch. I know i can launch my tinny (3.75mtr) on a .8mtr tide going by willy weathers data. But most 5mtr boats would need 1.2mtrs to be safe.

The ramps is not an all tide ramp, best to go check it out when there is a very low tide, to see how low it actually gets! Wednesday the 28th june at 10am is a .36mtr which is quite low. Ive seen .18 as a low before and there isnt a lot left!

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:11 am

repspec wrote:tooradin requires a bit of knowledge to use.
I work in tooradin and launch from it often.

Depending on the size of your boat, depends on the height of the tide you can launch. I know i can launch my tinny (3.75mtr) on a .8mtr tide going by willy weathers data. But most 5mtr boats would need 1.2mtrs to be safe.

The ramps is not an all tide ramp, best to go check it out when there is a very low tide, to see how low it actually gets! Wednesday the 28th june at 10am is a .36mtr which is quite low. Ive seen .18 as a low before and there isnt a lot left!
thanks for that imfo

Bm

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:51 am

Important thing is it snakes out and you really have to stick to the channel. There is an arial photo on a sign there that shows it snaking over to the far bank then out.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:04 pm

I only went to tooradin boat ramp once and I didn't fair very well I had a 4.8mt half cab came in at low tide and really struggled getting the boat on the trailer mud everywhere but that was 25 years ago never went back .

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Nude up wrote:I only went to tooradin boat ramp once and I didn't fair very well I had a 4.8mt half cab came in at low tide and really struggled getting the boat on the trailer mud everywhere but that was 25 years ago never went back .
I would off paid good money to see that.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:12 pm

laneends wrote:Important thing is it snakes out and you really have to stick to the channel. There is an arial photo on a sign there that shows it snaking over to the far bank then out.
Agreed. The way you have to drive virtually straight at the bank, then do a 135 degree turn just before you hit it....let's just say it a good idea to launch there as a deckie first imo.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:35 pm

With your boat Mick, I'd head elsewhere if it's 2 hours either side of low. I doubt you'd have trouble navigating as its adequately marked. Just don't head up charing cross when you hit the fork or **** bricks at the entrance when the sounder rises a bit (I've watched people do both and motors slammed into reverse. Funny, but those poor gearboxes)

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:19 pm

cobby wrote:With your boat Mick, I'd head elsewhere if it's 2 hours either side of low. I doubt you'd have trouble navigating as its adequately marked. Just don't head up charing cross when you hit the fork or sh*t bricks at the entrance when the sounder rises a bit (I've watched people do both and motors slammed into reverse. Funny, but those poor gearboxes)
thanks cobby.

think I will listen to that advice.

bm

Return to “General”