Fillet fish at sea

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Wombatroo

Fillet fish at sea

Post by Wombatroo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:15 am

Hi I was watching Talking fishing and they said you can fillet some fish at sea legally. I have googled it but nothing came up. Does anyone know which fish? Thanks

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Fillet fish at sea

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:22 am

Wombatroo wrote:Hi I was watching Talking fishing and they said you can fillet some fish at sea legally. I have googled it but nothing came up. Does anyone know which fish? Thanks
Sharks can be bought in as a carcass. Not sure on filleting then. Dave Kramer has been known to mislead on the program so don't take what gets said as gospel.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:57 am

I didnt think you could filket any fish that has a size limit

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:58 am

Fisheries need to be able to check you're abiding by the size limits so filleting a fish that has a size limit risks getting a fine. I suppose common sense would prevail if you'd caught a huge flattie and the fillets themselves were longer than the size limit. If it's something without a size limit then you can probably get away with filleting them as long as the fish can be identified (i.e. skin on).
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 am

I've always wondered why a carcass (including head to tail without fillets) couldn't be used to determine the length of a fish. I.e you catch a few whiting and want to cook some fillets up for lunch... the carcass would still show the length of the fish.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 am

Bit off topic....but can anyone tell me if the old wives tale that for better tasting fish, you should always clean salt water fish in salt water true?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 am

Mattblack wrote:Bit off topic....but can anyone tell me if the old wives tale that for better tasting fish, you should always clean salt water fish in salt water true?
On the money. Clean fish fillets with fresh ocean or bay water.

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 am

The fisheries 'regulations and catch limit' section of their web page tells you which species needs to be brought ashore in 'carcass' form.....any others can be filleted. Note also that any legal fish can be fillited at sea for 'immediate use' as bait or food.

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:38 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wombatroo wrote:Hi I was watching Talking fishing and they said you can fillet some fish at sea legally. I have googled it but nothing came up. Does anyone know which fish? Thanks
Sharks can be bought in as a carcass. Not sure on filleting then. Dave Kramer has been known to mislead on the program so don't take what gets said as gospel.
I saw last night's episode as well - it was actually the fisheries guy who said some fish could be filleted at sea - David was a little surprised himself.

Salted

Post by Salted » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Yep there are certain species that can be filleted at sea. The info is in the current Rec fishing handbook. Anything that is "as carcass" like sharks really only can be gutted at sea and thats it.

Return to “General”