Fillet fish at sea

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Fillet fish at sea

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:28 pm

ChrisD wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Wombatroo wrote:Hi I was watching Talking fishing and they said you can fillet some fish at sea legally. I have googled it but nothing came up. Does anyone know which fish? Thanks
Sharks can be bought in as a carcass. Not sure on filleting then. Dave Kramer has been known to mislead on the program so don't take what gets said as gospel.
I saw last night's episode as well - it was actually the fisheries guy who said some fish could be filleted at sea - David was a little surprised himself.
In this case he's not misleading the public unlike the hazelwood Barra early fish in the exclusion zone.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:16 pm

I guess the principle stands that if something has a bag or size limit then nothing can be done that may be an obstacle to either identify species, number of size for compliance.

Whats vague to me is what is "landed" and when can you say cut the heads off at least of a bag of pinkies in order to minimise what you have to dispose of at home.. At the ramp? at a cleaning table? or as in the case of a tinny or kayak at the beach,?or do you have to take them home first. The compliance issue here being checked on landing as you are leaving location. Common sense would indicate when you have obvious actively finished fishing (packed up) as fisheries have had their chance to check.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:54 pm

"CAN fillet these"
Common Name/s: Flathead
Scientific Name: Platycephalidae
Minimum legal size: 27cm
Bag/possession limit: 20

" Can't fillet these as it says retained in carcass form"

Common Name/s: Dusky flathead
Scientific Name: Platycephalus fuscus
Minimum legal size: 30cm
Maximum legal size: 55cm
Bag/possession limit: 5
Retained whole or in carcass form

Common Name/s: Snapper
Scientific Name: Pagrus auratus
Minimum legal size: 28cm
Bag/possession limit: 10 (of which no more than 3 fish may be equal to or exceed 40cm in length). Retained whole or in carcass form.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:57 pm

We take landed as having made a landfall. e.g tied up at a jetty. Nothing says you have to clean and fillet it at the filleting table or take it home to do. I think it would be a brave fisheries officer that booked you for fileting when tied up at a jetty.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 pm

From fisheries regulations Victoria "definitions" Page 16
landed means the place where fish—
(a) are taken ashore; or
(b) make contact with any man-made fixed structure, including a pier, jetty, or wharf; or
r. 5
(c) make contact with any artificial extension of land;

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:50 pm

re-tyred wrote:From fisheries regulations Victoria "definitions" Page 16
landed means the place where fish—
(a) are taken ashore; or
(b) make contact with any man-made fixed structure, including a pier, jetty, or wharf; or
r. 5
(c) make contact with any artificial extension of land;
Makes sense to me, have seen some NSW quotes that do specifically state cleaning station. I guess the above definition means LB you can fillet as soon as you have hauled it in and while still fishing? obviously by definition LB you cant do it on the water..

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:33 pm

I remember fishing on a fishing charter about 10 years ago, at St Kilda pier ,and as we were 1 hour into the fishing they bbq heeps of flathead fish that were just caught,size and undersized. Breakfast this was called which was part of the $70 fishing charter deal. Maybe the skipper has a different special licence to do this,or maybe a pro licence. Please dont quote me when i said undersized they just looked small.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Mate was told by fisheries 2 weeks ago at Sorrento boat ramp that he was not allowed to fillet fish on the baitboard of the boat while tied up to the jetty. He didn't get fined but was told he is not allowed to do it and could have been fined. The fish had to be taken off the boat at the ramp before being filleted. They were whiting if that means anything.

Wombatroo

Post by Wombatroo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:24 pm

It's very conflicting. Think I will just keep filleting them at home to be on the safe side. Thanks for all your help. Cheers Tania.

Return to “General”