Noise

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
donutcrooks

Noise

Post by donutcrooks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:16 am

G'day gents,
Just wondering if it is true fish get scared from noise? Like would they get scared from a ukulele playing against the crashing waves?
Always have been interested if true or not.

Thanks boys.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Noise

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:50 am

Dunno about a ukulele. But I've recently fished with someone who swore by not making any bangs and thuds. We weren't whispering on the boat. But things like the standard not banging the sinkers that everyone should do. However the Snapping the whitings necks before putting them in the esky so they don't flap around was an interesting one. We scored 30+ whiting for the session so I was happy to oblige.

Went out a fortnight later in my boat. Replicated the same conditions and got another 20. Definitely merit to keeping any noises that transmit through water to an absolute minimum.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:17 am

I have watched Bream scatter when a loud noise was made. In shallow water the quieter you can be the better.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:14 am

i wasn't making much noise along the banks of the creek when I was carp fishing the other day but I saw a lot of puffs of muddy water from the carp being spooked by the vibrations of my footsteps as i got close
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:16 am

I think noise spooks fish, they might have small brains but they are tuned into all things related to their surviva.l

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:03 am

I would be keen to know did he turn his sounder off the ticking sound is quite loud. Some fish are attracted to noise boats with twin engines for example. I always have the radio on in my boat especially when crickets on. I would agree with fresh water fish and shallow water but if you are in 20mt I don't think you have to walk around your boat on tip toes.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:23 am

Nude up wrote:I would be keen to know did he turn his sounder off the ticking sound is quite loud. Some fish are attracted to noise boats with twin engines for example. I always have the radio on in my boat especially when crickets on. I would agree with fresh water fish and shallow water but if you are in 20mt I don't think you have to walk around your boat on tip toes.

I think this is right - lets face it many off shore fish come up to see what the noise is all about but in shallow water it's different in many cases
KGW for example I quite often am have still been sight fishing whiting in 1.2 meters of water with the kayak - have one boat go past close and thats it all gone
look at salmon bust ups drift through them with some slugs and it's a lot of fun motor through them with a boat for no or little action action
lets face it we have all been pissed off by the clown that doesn't get it and bores straight over the bust up you are working and disperse the fish
by the way you can sneak over a bust up with the yak - guess which one is quiet and stealthy

by the way I also turn off my sounder as soon as I park more to save the battery but have thought that the clicking noise may be off putting to the fish
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:56 am

Nude up wrote:I would be keen to know did he turn his sounder off the ticking sound is quite loud. Some fish are attracted to noise boats with twin engines for example. I always have the radio on in my boat especially when crickets on. I would agree with fresh water fish and shallow water but if you are in 20mt I don't think you have to walk around your boat on tip toes.

I think this is right - lets face it many off shore fish come up to see what the noise is all about but in shallow water it's different in many cases
KGW for example I quite often am have still been sight fishing whiting in 1.2 meters of water with the kayak - have one boat go past close and thats it all gone

by the way I also turn off my sounder as soon as I park more to save the battery but have thought that the clicking noise may be off putting to the fish

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 am

You've never heard a sounder clicking away I take it?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Not so much the noise of moving around. But ive always found it interesting when ive been on tinnies with the amount of hull noise they make. I definitely notice it because mine is a polyboat and is a lot quieter. But the tinnies still catch fish. So it must not bother them that much id say....

Return to “General”