Eel Spots?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Eel Spots?

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:14 pm

ratbag wrote:dandenong creek off stud rd. try behind the police paddocks, theres a walking track along the creek. any hole will have em & carp. both good bait for gummies.
That's a good idea, a fair bit closer than the spot I had in mind for a bit of bait collecting tomorrow afternoon. I suppose the eels from there wouldn't be fit for human consumption?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:34 pm

4liters wrote:
ratbag wrote:dandenong creek off stud rd. try behind the police paddocks, theres a walking track along the creek. any hole will have em & carp. both good bait for gummies.
That's a good idea, a fair bit closer than the spot I had in mind for a bit of bait collecting tomorrow afternoon. I suppose the eels from there wouldn't be fit for human consumption?
I'd be very careful bush bashing around police paddocks lol...We're always very careful when working up there..

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:02 pm

TheLoneTurtle wrote:What? Carp? Havnt heard that before!!
:a_goodjob: I take off the scales & fillet them, cut slices & through the hook once, they have some oil & smell to them. keep the head whole, single hook through the top lip & :r make sure it doesn't spin in the current.
if you catch too many, they make great burley mixed in with some bran. :thumbsup:
4liters wrote:That's a good idea, a fair bit closer than the spot I had in mind for a bit of bait collecting tomorrow afternoon. I suppose the eels from there wouldn't be fit for human consumption?

I know ppl who have eaten them from there, I wouldn't. old mate & I have caught 100's over the last 20 years in the stretch of creek from stud rd to SE FWY. go down Brady RD (off stud rd) & you can walk along the track in either direction. We've caught them right up to Canterbury Rd in Vermont. :r
CarlG wrote:I'd be very careful bush bashing around police paddocks lol...We're always very careful when working up there..
i think there was some action with the police in the area a couple of weeks back :icon_lolz:
quid est quod eum

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:24 pm

ratbag wrote:
TheLoneTurtle wrote:What? Carp? Havnt heard that before!!
:a_goodjob: I take off the scales & fillet them, cut slices & through the hook once, they have some oil & smell to them. keep the head whole, single hook through the top lip & :r make sure it doesn't spin in the current.
if you catch too many, they make great burley mixed in with some bran. :thumbsup:

Huh i know a spot where i catch billions of carp atleast 3 everytime but i dont go there often and a lot of Asian people there like to eat carp. Might have to go back to use as bait :D :victory: :water:

benplus

Post by benplus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:08 am

I just got an eel along Yarra River below Dights fall with cooked prawn yesterday evening.

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 am

benplus wrote:I just got an eel along Yarra River below Dights fall with cooked prawn yesterday evening.
cooked prawn sounds good. :a_goodjob:

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 am

YESS i finally got one actually two!!! It was at dandenong creek on wellington road i saw it before work and stopped after work ;D.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:49 am

CarlG wrote:
4liters wrote:
I'd be very careful bush bashing around police paddocks lol...We're always very careful when working up there..
I gave it a miss based on this advice and went to whiskers' secret carp spot instead for three chunky little mud suckers. Stayed on into the dark for a while but couldn't coax an eel even when using fresh carp as bait
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General”