nylon waders or neoprene waders?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

nylon waders or neoprene waders?

Post by ChrisD » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:35 am

I am considering getting myself a pair of waders - wondering what people's thoughts are on the differences between - nylon waders or neoprene waders?
I'd be using them along the Yarra - Worri Yallock and above.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: nylon waders or neoprene waders?

Post by Basti » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Neoprene will be warmer. Possibly too warm in summer. Nylon won't breathe at all I'd say. They also generally come with gumboots attached but I dunno how the grip would stand up to the slippery stuff. The breathable ones are best but expensive. I've got neoprene but haven't worn them in the water yet. Usually I wet wade in cheap shoes and quick dry pants in summer. Used to wear hiking boots but they take a long time to dry and can work up a mighty stink.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:32 pm

For years I used nylon till recently. Bought a pair of neoprene and much prefer them.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm

I have both nylon & neoprene. The nylon are good this time of year as I find the neoprene get too hot. The best ever were gortex with a stocking foot & sneakers, however they're good for about 5-6 years & expensive. The other 2 will outlast them.
quid est quod eum

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Depends one why you are using them. I have a pait of Nylon with the built in boot. Use them in winter and it's great in the cold. Long johns and integrated boots make it very warm and very water proof. Slip off put trackies on drive home. Don't fall in them though or you can drown as they fill up like a bucket.

I am getting a pair of SLH Dry Pants for yakking. Dry but safe. $200 though
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

brybry

Post by brybry » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:00 pm

If they're are within you budget, get a pair of breathable waders and wading boots.

My experience with nylon is that you sweat a lot. Also if they have built in boots, they can get pretty uncomfortable on the feet after wading over rocks for a few hours.

Haven't tried neoprene, but I would think they would be too warm for all but the start and end of trout season.

Of the two, I'd lean towards nylon.

To be honest, at this time of year I prefer just wading in a pair of short and old hiking boots.

efendy

Post by efendy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 pm

+1 the breathable ones. I got mine from amazon and they held up alright. I bought them when the dollar was on par with USD but it might still be cheaper compared to Aus (I don't know local prices though).
https://www.amazon.com/Caddis-Attractiv ... th=1&psc=1

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:04 am

I find for the price and durability the nylon is better than the neoprene. Neoprene can cost twice as much as ordinary waders with boots but they get punctures easily and water tend to leak in through the stitchings over time as you stretch it. They can be repaired but another leak will apear shortly there after through a different stitching. Nylon is more leakproff at the stitching cos i think theyre just glued on, and easy to patch if it gets minor punctures. My neoprene waders lasted me only 20 use before i had to throw it out. I still have my nylon ones now after 200 use, the breathable nylon is no doubt the best but you will need to be prepaired to pay the $200 +. I paid $70 for my neoprene and only $40 for my nylon ones both with boots.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:19 am

brybry wrote:
To be honest, at this time of year I prefer just wading in a pair of short and old hiking boots.
I've tried this once and decided that the leeches and march flies were too much so next time I hit up a stream it'll be in the Lovig dry pants with my neoprene rock fishing boots
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

drewb

Post by drewb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:36 pm

In summer I fish in wading boots, gravel guards, skins and shorts. Wading boots and gravel guards are a great combo for warm weather and good protection from snakes. I used to wade bare legged but found skins or leggings under shorts much more comfortable as protection from scratches, leaches, mozzies etc.

I've got a pair of Simms waders for when it gets cooler, paid about $300 for them a few years ago and they're still going strong. Worth the money I reckon.

Return to “General”