New to lures...

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

New to lures...

Post by Master Baiter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Deciding it could be a time to try to walk some of the shorelines around the lake with a backpack a big plastic bag for my fish (if I am lucky) I catch and with a lure or two. Bait fishing I seem to nod off after 5 mins or so to look up and nod off again.
Anyway back to lures never really ever given them ago, so I purchased some lures from one of my local fishing stores, after rigging them up as suggested by the owner. By the way I put them on my old Daiwa sure strike 8 '6''which has a quiver tip on as a replacement when I broke the original tip. reel is a D.A.M 2000 Quick with 6lb mono. The lures were all in the gram casting weight.
Now I decided to test them in the pool which is 36ft long, well the only two hard back lures I tried just hooked the line in the air several times and could not be freed and got dragged back. next I tried Z man curly tails a single and a double.They did just what I was told they would very impressed. Put them both on a float and with the flow from the pool return I just held them at the end of the flow and they just wiggled. So now to try on a fish or two.
Wally
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: New to lures...

Post by dazz999 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:59 pm

hey buddy you need a change of rod if throwing lures a quiver tip rod no good for throwing lures zman plastics are good

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Grab yourself a cheapo graphite rod, you'll cast a lot further that way. Tassie Devils work pretty well on redfin and are a pretty easy lure to use if you're just getting started.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Master Baiter

Post by Master Baiter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks for the replies, I thought the rod may have whipped them. Any suggestions on a good soft plastic rod? I fish at least twice a week all year so it will get a fair bit of use as the others do. Plus tips on lures for trout and reddies. I catch cod and yellas not targeted and they go back. only after the above for a feed.
Cheers.
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:20 pm

2-4kg Catana?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:13 pm

Hey Wally, if you're shopping at Kirley's or outdoor pleasure, there's not much rod choice. I dropped into them both on the weekend, Ks have a great lure range but limited rod range. Not sure if there is a broader choice in Benalla.

Some rod choices Shimano catana or raider, daiwa generation black or black label or GLoomis GL2. Any other these would cover you for nillacootie, eildon or the rivers. A 7ft will help your distance cast on the lakes & shorter will be good for the rivers.

You may need to check your knots as if the line is breaking during the cast.

Happy to catch up sometime if you want to try some different lure rods. Shoot me a pm with your phone number.

Chris
quid est quod eum

Master Baiter

Post by Master Baiter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Chris, PM sent...
Wally 20/6/20

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:46 pm

Hey mate. Graphite rod for certain and Braid too. Go into a shop and get a Catana SP rod combo with braid. Should be around the $150- $200 spooled with braid and a decent reel. Ask them to spool it as braid can't really be spooled at home. Then learn to tie an FG or Slimbeauty mono to braid knot for leader. Good to go.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Kadmium wrote:Hey mate. Graphite rod for certain and Braid too. Go into a shop and get a Catana SP rod combo with braid. Should be around the $150- $200 spooled with braid and a decent reel. Ask them to spool it as braid can't really be spooled at home. Then learn to tie an FG or Slimbeauty mono to braid knot for leader. Good to go.
"Ask them to spool it as braid can't really be spooled at home"

=> why is that ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:57 pm

i spool all my reels at home. use a wet cloth wrapped around your hand to apply tension while you wind it on, or wind it onto another reel first then use the drag to apply tension. pack it tight.

Return to “General”