Jet Ski vs Boat

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Jet Ski vs Boat

Post by Texas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:01 am

JET SKI COLLISION IN PORTARLINGTON
Friday, 13 January 2017 01:43
Water Police are investigating following a collision between a jet ski and a boat in Portarlington last night.

It is believed a 16-year-old Taylors Hill boy was riding a Jet Ski about 100 meters off the Portarlington Pier when he struck a boat which then sank about 8.20pm.

The driver of the boat, a 25-year-old Hoppers Crossing man, was brought back to shore and treated for lacerations to his leg.

Australian Volunteer Coast Guard members attended and assisted police with the recovery of the sunken boat.

Police spoke to all parties at the scene and are appealing for anyone who witnessed the collision, or the vessels prior to the collision to come forward.

Water Police wish to highlight the importance of being mindful and in control on the water, especially in busy tourist populated areas.

Police urge anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Senior Constable Alistair Parsons

Media Officer

Must have been flying to sink the boat

Gra

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Re: Jet Ski vs Boat

Post by seephil » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:20 am

Jet ski missile sinks boat.
I wonder what time the incident occurred?

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:24 am

seephil wrote:Jet ski missile sinks boat.
I wonder what time the incident occurred?
8.20pm, Still light ????

Cheers
Gra

FreeSpool

Post by FreeSpool » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:37 am

This make me sick.
I have been riding Jetskies for over 10 years now and i have seen so many near misses and one small collision due to people not being careful and not leaving enough distance between themselves and other vessels while riding.
The other big concern i have is that these new jetskies with over 300hp are very fast and when you have a 16 year old behind the handlebars showing off and trying to race every vessel in the water its just an accident waiting to happen.
I believe there should be some further restrictions put in place like the road rules.
P plate drivers cannot drive high powered V8's and turbo cars on the road but a 16 year old can ride a jetski capable of hitting 0-100klm in 3.5 seconds.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:23 am

the other day like I already reported, I was travelling at about 6 knots and could only just work out there were swimmers in the water, a person on a jet ski was doing at least 15 knots between the yellow poles and the shoreline, I prayed that there were no swimmers in his path.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 am

I have spent a lot of time at portarlington the water between the pier and the caravan park is always full of jet skies they just rip up and down. They also chase boats to jump their wakes. When the cops come around read every day during summer to do spot checks you should see the jet skies race to the beach most don't have licenses to ride them friends of friends just visiting for the day.
I agree with frespool the hp should be limited for younger riders.

Luluberlu

Post by Luluberlu » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:55 am

A bit off topic but I noticed that many skippers seems to go the wrong way ( on they left as a car ) especially when coming in and out the bay from the boat ramp :oops: :oops: :o_0: Altona surprised that it is no more accident

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Spot on luiuberlu they don't know what side to pass on in a channel and no idea who has right of way when traveling in open water

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:50 pm

There is a place for Jet Skies and its NOT at St Leonards

lauxyboy

Post by lauxyboy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:56 pm

An accident happened, probably from inexperience on the young fella on the skis part, but we were all young once and we live and we learn as for people not knowing they boat rules, it's pretty simple, you do you test and if you don't use it every weekend like us lucky blokes do you forget,

As for st Leonard's, portarlington, Torquay etc not being the place to use jet skis, boats, kayaks, paddle boards etc that's a load of shite, if it wasn't for the people that are coming to where I'm lucky enough to live and spending there money here, you wouldn't be able to come here and do it, there's nothing left for us to do down here except tourism!!!!!!

Return to “General”