Goldfish??

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
alexcarrillo

Re: Goldfish??

Post by alexcarrillo » Fri May 19, 2017 8:24 pm

matt1991 wrote:Plenty of big goldfish in the northern suburbs!

where abouts in the northern suburbs?

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Fri May 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Australia probably has world record goldfish swimming around in its creeks. I'd imagine he lives in NSW somewhere- right on the upper limits of temperatures before they stop feeding.

I've watched cormorants feed and they are unbelievably good at what they do - but they arent so effective in heavily snagged creeks - goldfish are the easiest of prey out in the open - even in a snaggy creek they are slower than alot of prey - but if they have been released into a pocket of water the cormorants dont know about and that has no big predator fish - they can bulk up big time - they only stop feeding when they've eaten their own sh1t twice ;-)

Apart from private ponds - a secluded skinny creek is where a record breaker lives - he's not the biggest in the world - but he will break the world record

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Fri May 19, 2017 10:02 pm

marckyg123 wrote:Gday guys, I have heard that there are some wild goldfish in some urban creeks around Melbourne. Has anyone seen any around amd where abouts have you seen them? Cheers guys and Happy New Year!! :-D
Seen them in Merri Creek. Caught a huge bronze one at the rowville lakes many years ago. Maggots under a float.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat May 20, 2017 3:18 am

biggest goldy i've ever seen appeared in the lakes in front of my house after a big rain event. i threw 7 different flies and bread too at him but ended up foul hooking the carp that was mooching underneath him. carp estimated to be around the 60cm mark, goldy was atleast 2/3 the size

T_C Fishing

Post by T_C Fishing » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Me and my friend were fishing at lake logan in caroline springs west of melbourne. Aiming to catch carp we see a fat 38 - 40cm goldfish swimming in the shallows, We tried to get him but we scared him off. It was an awesome day. See if you guys can catch him again! We were using corn on a bottom rig but i think bread on a float would be more effective.

Dazzac

Post by Dazzac » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:18 pm

I have seen a heap that swim around in schools in the dam behind the stables shopping centre in Mill Park..
Cheers

Return to “General”