264km of Shoreline and Not a Tranquil Spot in Sight!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
minimal

264km of Shoreline and Not a Tranquil Spot in Sight!

Post by minimal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:43 pm

How does everyone feel about fishing in busy locations around the bay?

Before taking up fishing about a month ago, I had this (false) vision of fishing being about peace and tranquility, but I've been quite shocked how busy everywhere is.

I'm a sociable person and should point out I've met a few GREAT guys while I've been out, but I'm really NOT a fan of turning up to places and there are hundreds of rods out and fishos everywhere.

It just sort of spoils my ideal of 'getting away from it all' for a few hours. The experience at times is akin to the stress I feel when shopping in a busy mall - when you just want people to get out your space!

I understand the piers are for everyone to enjoy and don't blame anyone else for being there - it's just a shame there aren't enough good spots to spread us out, if that's what we so desire.

So my questions then... 'How do you enjoy fishing in these busy locations and do you enjoy the culture that comes with it?'

jezza

Re: 264km of Shoreline and Not a Tranquil Spot in Sight!

Post by jezza » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 pm

hey mate thats why i fish nights an on my rdo some places have less people fishing just have to get away from the main spots

georged2

Post by georged2 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Buy a boat and then you can go anywhere. BUT, you'll get ramp rage, so you're still buggered.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

cantevencatchacold
Has liked: 30 times

Post by cantevencatchacold » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Nope. Try to go at quiet times or other places. You may be surprised at how going a little farther keeps most fo the riff raff away. Not saying that fishingviccers are riffraff... :D

minimal

Post by minimal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Haha! I must say, 90% of the people I've come across have been perfectly nice and respectful people. I've seen a few knobheads as well though!

Bizarrely, fishing nights doesn't seem to be much better. We went to Brighton Pier on Saturday night - it was VERY windy, VERY cold and VERY wet. Yet still there were so many people, it was too crowded for comfort. I suppose when you say nights, you probably mean, like, LATE nights/early mornings.

I am going to start hunting out further afield and more tranquil destinations - particularly as it gets warmer.

If buying a boat was as easy as handing over a bit of cash, I might consider it. But by all accounts it's a huge bind - the maintenance and upkeep does not sound easy. Not to mention finding somewhere to put the bloody thing!

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm

georged2 wrote:Buy a boat and then you can go anywhere. BUT, you'll get ramp rage, so you're still buggered.
or a Kayak - no ramp rage just launch off a beach almost anywhere
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

minimal

Post by minimal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:29 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
georged2 wrote:Buy a boat and then you can go anywhere. BUT, you'll get ramp rage, so you're still buggered.
or a Kayak - no ramp rage just launch off a beach almost anywhere
Funny you should say that - I'm just researching yaks now! Look like awesome fun...

Any recommendations!? What do you own?

Only thing putting me off a yak is the safety (this might not be an issue, I dont know enough) and the storage/transporting challenge. Not sure our carport space has enough room to store it and presumably I'd need to buy 100's $ worth of extra accesories to transport it?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 pm

minimal wrote: Funny you should say that - I'm just researching yaks now! Look like awesome fun...

Any recommendations!? What do you own?

Only thing putting me off a yak is the safety (this might not be an issue, I dont know enough) and the storage/transporting challenge. Not sure our carport space has enough room to store it and presumably I'd need to buy 100's $ worth of extra accesories to transport it?
Safety is always first in mind for what ever you may wont to use on the water thats boat or kayak

as for what kayak - I use a Wavedance Kingfisher myself and find it realy good however there are plenty of good fishing kayaks out there. it a 4.1 meter long yak which make it fairly fast and tracks quite well
it's something to keep in mind if you are going to play on the bays that the shorter yaks take a bit more pushing to keep them moving - trust me after you start yak fishing there will be times when you will cover some distance or if you head over to Westernport you may have to push into a tide flow
thats not a problem by the way as your fitness grows

I transport mine on top of the car on some rhino roof bars ( off ebey SH about $90 ) it's light enough to chuck up on the racks ( 27 Kg empty was the weight quoted )
of cause there are a few goodies like a PFD and some rod holders

as far as Safety goes if you do get yourself a yak practice deep water enteries incass you fall off ( I have fallen in once or twice ) not for a while though

also you need to dress for falling in

above not a crowd in site

Cheater
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 pm

minimal wrote:How does everyone feel about fishing in busy locations around the bay.

it's just a shame there aren't enough good spots to spread us out, if that's what we so desire.
So my questions then... 'How do you enjoy fishing in these busy locations and do you enjoy the culture that comes with it?'
I would strongly suggest that EXPLORE the bay a bit more by yourself and find your own spot if you really would like to avoid crowds in popular locations. Yes, that is what I have been doing recently. I now get less or no people next to me but produce better results with my catch in new locations. I still fish @ busy spots such as Mordi, brighton and largoon pier NOT on weekends or holidays BUT at late nights during weekdays. Another tip is that DO NOT follow online fishing reports that tell you where the hot location is at the moment cos everyone will jump on that spot too.
Last edited by hskim00 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:42 am

fish the 90 mile beach. The next angler will be 10 miles away from you.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “General”