Pick up the boat on Thursday - where to Christen her?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Linc

Pick up the boat on Thursday - where to Christen her?

Post by Linc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:27 pm

So I'm finally pickup my new Quinnie 430 Escape this Thursday down at Braeside. Where is the best place to christen her after picking her up? I'm thinking Mornington as I'm at least guaranteed some flatties if there are no snapper to be found as I couldn't imagine getting her wet for the first time and not catching a thing.

Any better ideas?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Pick up the boat on Thursday - where to Christen her?

Post by smile0784 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:16 pm

thursday will be a bit rough out on the bay
90%chance of showers

Linc

Post by Linc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:30 pm

smile0784 wrote:thursday will be a bit rough out on the bay
90%chance of showers
This is true but the wind looks to be not too bad. Heading away for a wedding for the weekend so its Thursday or wait another whole week... I'll take the rain!

Clumpy

Post by Clumpy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Maybe try Patterson, at least if the bay is too choppy you can take it for a drive up the river and around Patterson lakes. I know its not as much fun slow, at least you will be able to take it for a spin.
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Last week on Thursday there was a boat at Olivers hill boat ramp that was full of water. Not exactly sure of what happened.

But there are a number of boat ramps around the bay that should be avoided on days when the waves are present. Waves over the transom will quickly ruin a good day.

One day I launched a safety beach, the wind was northerly which was fine, until it swung around to the west and the waves increased in height that were a little too big for my small boat. 3.95 metres.

To add to the mix the tide had fallen, so the waves were breaking about half way along the pier at safety beach. which meant getting out of the boat onto the pier required some acrobatic skills.

We did managed to get boat onto the trailer, but there was a fair bit of water in the boat, from waves coming over the transom.

At safety beach, I have seen it dead flat and suddenly waves come from no where and they would swamp a vehicle if it was parked on the ramp at that time.

Hopefully you have experience with launch and retrieve, if not choose a protected ramp when it not busy.

Linc

Post by Linc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks for the concern fellas but thursday should be alright

This is what the BOM says:

Thursday 20 September

Winds
Easterly 5 to 10 knots becoming light around midday.
Seas
Below 0.5 metres.

Patterson is one that I'm tossing up, either that or Morni still.

Return to “General”