Golden Oldies

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Golden Oldies

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Hmmmm I have a old reel somewhere that my dad used to use. Seen it around as well. Gotta find it :)

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:11 pm

Marty has stirred up a lot of interest here!

The covers of all of us hoarders have been blown. Tackleberry wins with his box obsession!!

There have been some classic pics of reels. In my lifetime the three standout freshwater reels that were quantum leaps were the ABU Ambassadeur baitcasters (loved by bass & barra fishermen), the Sigma spinning reels (silky drags with light, tough bodies) and the Shimano bantam baitcasters (superlight baitcasters). They changed our expectations in fishing reels and match what is around today.

A couple of years ago I caught a cod nearly a metre long on dad's old cane rod and Steelite reel. I've since retired it as it is now too precious to lose - dad was killed when I was 8 years old. I've picked up the same combination which I now use to continue the tradition.

For us oldies the old gear is a link to our happy memories of the past and, quite frankly, it is often nearly as good as the latest stuff. It is easier to get spare parts than what most people think for most old reels or at least buy some reels for use as spares.

Thanks for the comments on my mancave - everyone should have a mancave, womencave, personcave, whatever.

Younger ones take note - as you grow older you become nostalgic and sentimental. DO NOT assume that what is around now, or what you can get now, will be around forever - it won't be. Tackle changes, fishing spots change and people you know or care about will disappear.

So set up your mancave, save your dad's or grandad's rod and reel for display, get a rock from your favourite fishing spot and put it in your cave so you can look at it to remind you of happy times. And now and then at least use the fishing gear of your youth to transport yourself back to the halcyon days of your past.

Truedogz

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Well said Truedogz , when I saw my reel again after all those years it took me back to the day my dad got it for me and how much it meant to me .I was young and carefree back then. Now dads in his 70's and not in good health and I'm in my 40's but due to something as small as a 30 year old reel we both felt young again when we remembered the great old days. These days people take everything for granted so its nice to hang on to some things from your past that bring back good memories.

Cheers
Marty.A

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:56 pm

That's very true Marty :) I agree :thumbsup:

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Very wise words there trudogs, I am a bit of a fishing hoarder so I'll be holding on to all my fishing gear for sure :thumbsup:

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Jarvis Walker Toronto 4'11" Solid glass Snapper Skull-dragger.

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:50 pm

1981 DHB1101 Ugly Stik 7' overhead.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:53 pm

Trumpeter wrote:Jarvis Walker Toronto 4'11" Solid glass Snapper Skull-dragger.
Love it Trumpeter good old solid glass rods those were the days :thumbsup:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:02 pm

A friend of mine picked up a Wilson 'Bribie' rod at a garage sale a while back and we can't find out anything about it. It's a 3 piece rod made of old looking brownish colored glass with steel ferules. The rod tip is thick compared to modern rods. Looks about 7' or 8' long but I didn't measure it. The reel mount is low down (about a hand width from the bottom) and it might even be designed for an Alvey but the stripper guide was in the normal place so I'm not certain about that. The reel mount is made of an orange metal that looks a bit like coloured anodized aluminium (but it feels heavier than aluminium). There's no info printed on the rod other than the Wilson logo and a peeling sticker with 'Bribie' on it.

Can anyone help? Sorry it isn't much to go on.

It'd be handy to know more about it to know what it could be used for or if it belongs in a museum/man cave.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:16 pm

4liters wrote:A friend of mine picked up a Wilson 'Bribie' rod at a garage sale a while back and we can't find out anything about it. It's a 3 piece rod made of old looking brownish colored glass with steel ferules. The rod tip is thick compared to modern rods. Looks about 7' or 8' long but I didn't measure it. The reel mount is low down (about a hand width from the bottom) and it might even be designed for an Alvey but the stripper guide was in the normal place so I'm not certain about that. The reel mount is made of an orange metal that looks a bit like coloured anodized aluminium (but it feels heavier than aluminium). There's no info printed on the rod other than the Wilson logo and a peeling sticker with 'Bribie' on it.

Can anyone help? Sorry it isn't much to go on.

It'd be handy to know more about it to know what it could be used for or if it belongs in a museum/man cave.
Maybe try and send Wilson an email mate they might have some info here is the link.
http://www.wilsonfishing.com/

Return to “General”