Waders: Chest, Waist & Thigh

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
brybry

Re: Waders: Chest, Waist & Thigh

Post by brybry » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Like you, it's time for me to invest in a decent pair of waders.

Cheap PVC waders are fine when your down the beach, but not when your tramping over freestone rivers. My feet kill me after a couple of hours and my clothes end up soaked from perspiration that it makes me wonder I bothered!

Those Patagonia waders and boots look pretty good.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Just a thought for those of us on a bit of a budget but wouldn't an old diving wetsuit cut off under the arms and surfing booties be an option? I know you'll get wet but should stay warm, no? Maybe not in snow melt I guess but was just an idea. I do have a pair of el cheapo waders for beach launching the boat but I usually only wade streams in summer in my hunting vest, leopard print budgie smugglers and a pair of Dunlop volleys, and that's mostly just so I look cool.

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Sinsemilla wrote: Would you care to add to that Cam. maybe the name/brand of them, How they fit, what boots you wear with them and how they have been for you for however long you have had them?
Hodgman is the brandname, great quality, I'm a fairly solidly built fella and they're are nice and roomy, here's a pic.

Mine are stockingfoot, I wear cheapo sports shoes over the neoprene socks if I feel I need to. I've had them about 18 months.

hodgman pipestone nonslip chest wader.jpg
hodgman pipestone nonslip chest wader.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 807 times

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:32 pm

skronkman wrote:Just a thought for those of us on a bit of a budget but wouldn't an old diving wetsuit cut off under the arms and surfing booties be an option? I know you'll get wet but should stay warm, no? Maybe not in snow melt I guess but was just an idea. I do have a pair of el cheapo waders for beach launching the boat but I usually only wade streams in summer in my hunting vest, leopard print budgie smugglers and a pair of Dunlop volleys, and that's mostly just so I look cool.
The question is do you grow your mo and wear a clear green visor also? you gotta look the part..

a wet suit would be fine in the warmer months. but like brybry just said.. walking over stones all day in less than adequate foot wear takes its toll..

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:16 pm

SFP Guy. wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote: Would you care to add to that Cam. maybe the name/brand of them, How they fit, what boots you wear with them and how they have been for you for however long you have had them?
Hodgman is the brandname, great quality, I'm a fairly solidly built fella and they're are nice and roomy, here's a pic.

Mine are stockingfoot, I wear cheapo sports shoes over the neoprene socks if I feel I need to. I've had them about 18 months.

hodgman pipestone nonslip chest wader.jpg
Those waders don't look bad at all. How much does a pair of those set you back mate?

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:19 am

For anyone who has a pair of breathable waders here's a glue that does a great job if you manage to put a small hole in them or the seams crack which can happened at times. After three years of constant fishing 4-6 days during the trout season I did manage to put a couple of pin holes in them and a seam in the knee area had a small split in it, nothing major and was easily repairable.. The glue i used & carry with me in when fish is the Loons UV Wader repair glue.. Put it on to the damaged area ( in the shade ) then let the sun on it and it dries in a minute and one can continue on fishing.. it will also dry with a UV light as well.. very handy tube to carry when fishing.. I picked it up from the Caddis Fly Shop in the USA, I found a company in Victoria ( Ballarat area) that sells it but they wanted $23.00 for postage to Tassie.. So got two tubes including delivery for $32 from the USA..

cheers
Adrian
LOON OUTDOORS UV Wader glue...jpg
Loons UV Wader repair
LOON OUTDOORS UV Wader glue...jpg (65.86 KiB) Viewed 766 times
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:03 am

That is great Adrian. I might give this a go first on my old pair and see how I go before buying a new pair! Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:45 am

meppstas wrote:For anyone who has a pair of breathable waders here's a glue that does a great job if you manage to put a small hole in them or the seams crack which can happened at times. After three years of constant fishing 4-6 days during the trout season I did manage to put a couple of pin holes in them and a seam in the knee area had a small split in it, nothing major and was easily repairable.. The glue i used & carry with me in when fish is the Loons UV Wader repair glue.. Put it on to the damaged area ( in the shade ) then let the sun on it and it dries in a minute and one can continue on fishing.. it will also dry with a UV light as well.. very handy tube to carry when fishing.. I picked it up from the Caddis Fly Shop in the USA, I found a company in Victoria ( Ballarat area) that sells it but they wanted $23.00 for postage to Tassie.. So got two tubes including delivery for $32 from the USA..

cheers
Adrian
That stuff looks good. How does it set? Does it go hard or is it soft and flexable?

Cheers, Anth

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:09 pm

The UV rays from the sun (or a UV light) is what sets it and it's flexible too.. It must be put on in the shade then into the sunlight for it to set.
Simple, quick & easy no need for patches and 12 hours dying time.. just found out it's also available at Mo-Tackle now as well $19.95 a tube..
Aquaseal also have brought out a UV wader repair glue too..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks for that.

the flyfisher in Melbourne also have it for $20. Might go past and grab some.

Does it set better when using a UV torch?

Return to “General”