Looking for Fishing Buddy who has a Boat!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Looking for Fishing Buddy who has a Boat!

Post by smile0784 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:35 am

Trumpeter wrote:I like a bit of both but one problem with boats is when you have one it often just sits there and when you sell it due to lack of use you want one again. :(
if your boat is sitting there that long you shouldnt own a boat lol and be cheaper to go out on charter boats lol

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:08 pm

I've been fishing out on a boat at Western Port and honestly I find it better fishing landbased than on a boat. Fishing on a boat, you have the technology available to be able to find structure etc but you need to understand on how to read the structure etc so you know what you'll be targeting. Same as fishing landbased you need to understand tides, winds, weather etc to fish the conditions and Google maps gives a heap of indication of the structure that area is fishing. Me personally I don't find it much different, me and my mates caught 26 snapper landbased and that's just from reading on the forums here to understand tide changes, structure and fishable spots and bait.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 pm

I dunno about all u eager salties, but can't think of much better than a froffy on the river bank under some big gum trees!

Boats do have advantages but landbased I feel is more rewarding and less expensive
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:24 pm

Hmmmm I might need to convert into a freshie lol

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:56 pm

skuxliss wrote:I've been fishing out on a boat at Western Port and honestly I find it better fishing landbased than on a boat. Fishing on a boat, you have the technology available to be able to find structure etc but you need to understand on how to read the structure etc so you know what you'll be targeting. Same as fishing landbased you need to understand tides, winds, weather etc to fish the conditions and Google maps gives a heap of indication of the structure that area is fishing. Me personally I don't find it much different, me and my mates caught 26 snapper landbased and that's just from reading on the forums here to understand tide changes, structure and fishable spots and bait.

I completly disagree

Apart from dougiek and carlg who are freaks landbased then a boat /kyack is a massive advantage.

In the intetest of fair play 26 snapper is a pretty low number , I would be disappointed in myself if I couldnt catch 26 snapper. There a really dumb fish.and dont take alot of skill.

cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:05 pm

barra mick wrote:
skuxliss wrote:I've been fishing out on a boat at Western Port and honestly I find it better fishing landbased than on a boat. Fishing on a boat, you have the technology available to be able to find structure etc but you need to understand on how to read the structure etc so you know what you'll be targeting. Same as fishing landbased you need to understand tides, winds, weather etc to fish the conditions and Google maps gives a heap of indication of the structure that area is fishing. Me personally I don't find it much different, me and my mates caught 26 snapper landbased and that's just from reading on the forums here to understand tide changes, structure and fishable spots and bait.

I completly disagree

Apart from dougiek and carlg who are freaks landbased then a boat /kyack is a massive advantage.

In the intetest of fair play 26 snapper is a pretty low number , I would be disappointed in myself if I couldnt catch 26 snapper. There a really dumb fish.and dont take alot of skill.

cheers bm
Agree, Boat is an advantage over landbased cos you cover more ground hence the reason why there was etc put in cos you can see what's underneath and all.

Yeah 26 is a low number but for landbased? I don't see much snapper being caught landbased to that amount apart from Salmon etc. May not take alot of skill but is easier finding them on boat than on land because of ground coverage.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:37 pm

barra mick wrote:

I completly disagree

cheers bm
I'm with bm on this one. I've lost count of the number of donuts I've racked up landbased but I think there has only been one, maybe two occasions I've gone home empty handed when fishing from the yak.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:41 pm

It's about consistency. On a boat or yak most times you bring home a feed, however land based that's not the case. There are exceptions though...

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:09 pm

I love landbased fishing its more of a challenge.
on a boat I take pride in finding the fish, catching it is easy anyone one can catch fish once you find them (especially pinkies) landbased I take pride in catching the fish.
26 pinkies is good for land based I can't say it isn't..

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:16 pm

4liters wrote:
barra mick wrote:

I completly disagree

cheers bm
I'm with bm on this one. I've lost count of the number of donuts I've racked up landbased but I think there has only been one, maybe two occasions I've gone home empty handed when fishing from the yak.
I must say you answer a lot of questions for someone that's only been fishing for 1 year, not Being a smart ass I just wonder a lot where you get all this information from that you pass on like its fact, a lot of reading? Or have you been fishing all your life and only yaking for 1 year?

Return to “General”