Looking for Fishing Buddy who has a Boat!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Elly27
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Looking for Fishing Buddy who has a Boat!

Post by Elly27 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:44 am

Dizzy wrote:If you're comfortable being on water and are a capable swimmer, a good option Elly27, would be to get a Fishing kayak. You can get a good quality one for a few hundred smackos and coco bango, you're out on the water. I sold my last boat a few years ago for the same reasons some of the posters here stated, was not getting used, boat and trailer rego and ramp fees etc...on a yak, i've been able to fish rivers where boats cant get to, and i'm out in the inlet where I live a few times a week. Have also had it out in bass strait on calm seas but you want to be experienced before you try any of that.
If you did get a yak however, just gain a bit of experience in flat calm water before you attempt going out in one of the bays.
I started with a $600 yak from C Kayaks and decked it out, love it...but will be upgrading to a Hobie in the near future. As clinical tests prove that hobies catch more fish ;) lol.
Good luck with your fishing mate and good on you for getting out there.
Hey Dizzy, appreciate the input but I would rather go with someone who owns it. I am sure I will find a person to go with.

Thank you anyways

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Purchase your own boat

tasksta

Post by tasksta » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 am

PM me mate, i could use a decky as my mates all get seasick :)
As above a 'decky' does have certain responsibilities lol

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Dizzy wrote:If you're comfortable being on water and are a capable swimmer, a good option Elly27, would be to get a Fishing kayak. You can get a good quality one for a few hundred smackos and coco bango, you're out on the water. I sold my last boat a few years ago for the same reasons some of the posters here stated, was not getting used, boat and trailer rego and ramp fees etc...on a yak, i've been able to fish rivers where boats cant get to, and i'm out in the inlet where I live a few times a week. Have also had it out in bass strait on calm seas but you want to be experienced before you try any of that.
If you did get a yak however, just gain a bit of experience in flat calm water before you attempt going out in one of the bays.
I started with a $600 yak from C Kayaks and decked it out, love it...but will be upgrading to a Hobie in the near future. As clinical tests prove that hobies catch more fish ;) lol.
Hey Dizzy, you're right mate, Hobie's are great and you do catch more with them. I love mine and am not interested in fishing off boats (been there plenty and done it - No challenge compared to yakking :o_0: )

Hey Elly like everyone said basically - Ya gotta be kidding not to catch a Banjo. If Pillies are a problem for you then go buy some fresh ones from a fish market and salt them. I do that and the fish (snapper, Banjos, Whiting, Flatties)love em :thumbsup:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:14 pm

FishnMiss wrote:
Hey Dizzy, you're right mate, Hobie's are great and you do catch more with them. I love mine and am not interested in fishing off boats (been there plenty and done it - No challenge compared to yakking :o_0: )

Hey Elly like everyone said basically - Ya gotta be kidding not to catch a Banjo. If Pillies are a problem for you then go buy some fresh ones from a fish market and salt them. I do that and the fish (snapper, Banjos, Whiting, Flatties)love em :thumbsup:
Hey Fish, I think my issue is that I can not cast far enough. I do not think bait is the issue, I feel I nees to cast much farther then I am reaching. Could it be I need to use a surf road? I am trying to look for assistance in mastering the Pendulum Cast

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Elly27 wrote:
FishnMiss wrote:

Hey Fish, I think my issue is that I can not cast far enough. I do not think bait is the issue, I feel I nees to cast much farther then I am reaching. Could it be I need to use a surf road? I am trying to look for assistance in mastering the Pendulum Cast
Most land based places I fish I don't need to cast far at all...and I usually catch fish.

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
FishnMiss wrote:

Most land based places I fish I don't need to cast far at all...and I usually catch fish.
Must be the season then

FishnMiss

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Elly, as Lightning and others have said - The Fish are there :-)
I'm not sure what your level of experience is, but you have to learn to read tides, times, what fish for what season, how water temps affect what fish etc.
The more I read/study and fish I find "The Luckier" I get :-D
If you are land based mate you can really start of with a cheap 12ft Kmart Jarvis Walker piece of junk and catch some pretty decent fish (yep I've done that).
plenty people on here can help you out. Seriously though you don't need a boat (although from my yak experience I catch more consistently than LB and have more options). Also I hate fishing crowded piers.

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:27 pm

FishnMiss wrote:Elly, as Lightning and others have said - The Fish are there :-)
I'm not sure what your level of experience is, but you have to learn to read tides, times, what fish for what season, how water temps affect what fish etc.
The more I read/study and fish I find "The Luckier" I get :-D
If you are land based mate you can really start of with a cheap 12ft Kmart Jarvis Walker piece of junk and catch some pretty decent fish (yep I've done that).
plenty people on here can help you out. Seriously though you don't need a boat (although from my yak experience I catch more consistently than LB and have more options). Also I hate fishing crowded piers.
I bought a Shimano rod, I take into account tides and the time but not much about temperature

FishnMiss

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:36 pm

Certain fish like Snapper (who are mostly but not all) are heading out the bay as temp in the water drops below 18 Deg for example. They are also affected by Barometer, although you can still catch some if it's too low. The Sambos are around and should be getting more active also. Whiting & Flatties will slow down more as it gets colder. etc etc

Return to “General”