Fishing...good times or bad times?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Rod Bender

Fishing...good times or bad times?

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi persons
Am currently in a redfin drought of epic proportions! Not too fussed because on the flip side, I am now catching cod where I used to get redfin (and minimal carp)! :) I do still see some pics of epic redfin on fb and here from different areas...no doubt areas that have not been overrun by cod! Last season in the local channels I have never caught so many shrimp (from the channels) in my life for bait.

My trout fishing has suffered, more so for my decreasing physical ability to access them. One of my local impoundments that I try has just been dead. Yet I see pics of fantastic trout on fb and here where people have done well. There is research underway to investigate the poor trout fishing over the last couple years in north east streams. This doesn't really concern me.

Assuming the channels fish the same way they did last year I will be happy! So, how is everyone else's particular species hunting efforts going? Having a ball or not too well? :)
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Fishing...good times or bad times?

Post by DougieK » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:01 pm

I think i've got one redfin in the last year. Pretty much haven't had the opportunity to target them much and when i have all i've hooked it trout. Good problem to have!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:17 pm

Not so good for me at the moment...after spending time up in Queensland about a month ago I've been lacking all motivation to get out for a fish in this freezing weather :down: poor form I know...
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:19 pm

Talking saltwater here, I would say bad times atm, compared to last year salmon trevally and bream mullet jewie numbers have been down considerably in a few good spots. Where there were sized fish now are all undersized and no keepers, can't say that I have caught them all surely.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:24 pm

I've been travelling around a bit locally looking for new spots and fishing known spots for not a lot of fish. Maybe if I spent some time on the river here I might do better, ;-) but at the moment there are to many dicks around the river, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

eslop

Post by eslop » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Had my best cod season ever. No Reddies for awhile now. Good yella and even the world's dumbest trout.

I reckon the cod are out numbering the Reddies in the channels now and I say good!
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:57 pm

i've had a shocking run on the squid, with atleast a month or two with only one tiddler to show for it. sambos too

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Fish what are they :icon_lolz: I think the last fish I caught was on the Cod trip and I wouldn't even call that a fish :oops:

wokka1

Post by wokka1 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:16 pm

:down: :down: :down: None of my freshwater gear is working properly. I'm going to sell it and buy stuff that does.

Keep in mind most people don't post on Fartbook that they donuted, only when they catch.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:24 pm

I've had a great year on whiting! I have been pretty lazy on the cod front I did ok at the start of the season. I've caught a few reddies this year not a lot. Heaps of small flathead -.- a lot of carp due to not being bothered to go to far.. When trout season opens in keen to get the waders on. I've definately done a lot more saltwater this year in comparison to previous years.
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Return to “General”