This saturday 14/3

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

This saturday 14/3

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:20 pm

Evening All,
I'm looking to put in a big session the coming Saturday, I'm not sure where yet.

High tides on PPB are around 9am and 10pm on Saturday, give or take depending on where I end up going.

According to bom.gov.au the wind will be "East to southeasterly around 10 knots tending north to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots later in the morning, then shifting south to southwesterly 15 to 20 knots during the evening."
Looks like it will be a bit overcast and rainy which suits me fine as it should keep most of the punters away.

I'm thinking of starting early, arriving about 6am and staying until after the high tide at 10pm. Probably setting up at one place and then moving as the wind changes.

As for location, if anyone here has any suggestions that would be most welcome. Being land based I don't really want to be casting into a 20 knot south westerly, so I'm thinking of heading somewhere like North Shore Rocks to begin with and then cruise down to Portarlington or something later on. I think I'm ready to take the plunge and meet some of my fellow forum members, so if anyone else wants to join in feel free (and be prepared to be bombarded with a bunch of noob questions about fishing).
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: This saturday

Post by Scraglor » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:30 pm

Sorry mate, I am based down Mornington Peninsula way, so not much help in terms of spots, but it sounds like you have a pretty decent handle on things, so you should do well. Looking forward to hearing how you go!

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:46 pm

If you are going to do an all-dayer .. I would try the other bay.

Geelong is pretty dead ... "they" have raped that place to death. Every now and then people come across a few fish but not on a consistent basis.

If I was you, I would hit WP. Much better\more caliber fish over that side.

If the Bellarine is your only option, then you might get some squid\ting from Portarlington onwards.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm doin a day session n the maribyrnong Saturday With a mate targeting bream
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:10 pm

If you're already down that way fish the Barwon at Sheepwash. I haven't been there for a while but if you search 'barwon river' and 'sheepwash' you'll get 100+ results full of helpful advice. Most are dated about a year or more ago but it will still be relevant.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:49 am

Rogue_Hunter wrote:If you are going to do an all-dayer .. I would try the other bay.

Geelong is pretty dead ... "they" have raped that place to death. Every now and then people come across a few fish but not on a consistent basis.

If I was you, I would hit WP. Much better\more caliber fish over that side.

If the Bellarine is your only option, then you might get some squid\ting from Portarlington onwards.
Good to know, thanks for that. I'm north in Bundoora so Geelong and surrounds is pretty easy to get to via the ring road and Princes fwy, but the other side isn't much harder to get to either, especially early in the morning.

Maybe Flinders followed by Martha Rocks as the wind change comes through is the go then, however I've never fished out that way before so if anyone else has a better idea I'm all for it.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:02 am

Actually Warneet looks like it'd be easier to get to than Flinders, is that place any good?

Rogue_Hunter

Re: This saturday 14/3

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:43 am

Flinders is know for its squid. A lot of weedy ground near the end of the pier so if you are bait fishing, you will constantly be snagged. You will need to fish near the first half if you are not chasing squid.

TBH, wind is not going to be an issue at this stage.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:29 pm

So after a bit of reading around I've decided on Stony Point, with Mt Martha as backup later in the day if the wind makes life unpleasant on WPB.

I've gone and got a couple of sabiki rigs which is something I've never tried before, and the local fish shop was selling silver whiting so I got a couple of those for the squid spike.

jasew3

Post by jasew3 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:30 pm

hi all
Do not go to stony point pier as it is crap now. the pier was good to fish pre (S11) 2011. Bloody Gov has tighten up on security now due to the attacks around the world so in their great wisdom they have shut down over half of the pier to the fisho's. I use to fish the pier many years ago and caught a variety of fish but that was on the side which is shut now.. I took my son there last year and was disappointed in how much they have shut off to us. You wood be better off going to Hasting Pier or try Flinders Pier.
Goodluck and keep us all posted
Cheers Jase..

Return to “General”