New to fishing...have a question?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Rod Bender

Re: New to fishing...have a question?

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:05 pm

fishing.fury wrote:hey guys, i was just wondering if you go to new topic, write something, and then go to 'save draft', can anyone see it or will it just save untill u re-open it and then submit it, cheers
Just tried it for the first time...ever! Nobody else can see it and to access it you have to go into the user control panel and then 'manage drafts'.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

fishing.fury

Post by fishing.fury » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:07 pm

thanks jim, didnt want to try it myself just incase everyone could see it, cheers
victorian high country - 4wding to craigs hut video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p4Q4dFqUF4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

topcatt

Post by topcatt » Mon May 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Can someone please inform me what pier is the deepest for pier fishing no more than one and a half hours drive from Lysterfield Victoria. I know Port Welshpool is one that falls under that category (two hour drive) but unfortunately that pier I understand is still closed and under years of review still. Is there a web link that can give you that sort of information ie depths of waters. Thank you look forward to your reply and yes I am a newbie but a fast learner.

Miffy & Sparkles

Post by Miffy & Sparkles » Mon May 25, 2015 7:13 pm

welcome to the site mate. someone should be able to help you out
No matter what you done wrong, always try to make it look like the dog did it.

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Tue May 26, 2015 4:07 am

Lysterfield.. belgrave area?? deepest i would think would be port melbourne way.. station pier etc..... welshpool isnt all that deep, even when in full use... and port albert isnt much better... the only real deep pier i know of.. is one your not allowed to fish from.. and thats down where they make the oil rigs... shame really.. very very deep water.

only way i know to find the deep landbased.. is to walk for it.. such as balnaring. and walk up to the point behind the naval base, where its not to far to the channel.. and go on the right day where the wind/current will take a balloon out for you , tied with some cotton to your sinker.. and as it reaches the depth distance.. give it a yank.. balloon snaps off.. sinker does deep.... or another place you could try that.

biodegradable balloons btw... not the normal everyday ballon
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 26, 2015 8:03 am

topcatt wrote:Can someone please inform me what pier is the deepest for pier fishing no more than one and a half hours drive from Lysterfield Victoria. I know Port Welshpool is one that falls under that category (two hour drive) but unfortunately that pier I understand is still closed and under years of review still. Is there a web link that can give you that sort of information ie depths of waters. Thank you look forward to your reply and yes I am a newbie but a fast learner.
http://webapp.navionics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll around and have a look at where the water is deepest. There is some pretty deep water within a decent cast of Mornington Pier, Cowes jetty has some deep water within reach too. Otherwise rock platforms would be your best bet as they frequently face deep water, just get some experience on the platforms in the bay such as Mt Martha before you try out the ones facing Bass Strait.

Having said that, you don't need deep water to catch good fish. Every night gummy sharks venture into the shallows off the beaches in WPB to scavenge for food, and apart from really big snapper nearly every species in the bay can be commonly found in 2m or so of water.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue May 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Mishachief wrote: only way i know to find the deep landbased.. is to walk for it.. such as balnaring. and walk up to the point behind the naval base, where its not to far to the channel.. and go on the right day where the wind/current will take a balloon out for you , tied with some cotton to your sinker.. and as it reaches the depth distance.. give it a yank.. balloon snaps off.. sinker does deep.... or another place you could try that.
Mr G recently scouted that area, you're not allowed to fish it or even be in there.

We're having success off some rock ledges in deep water, but yeah, gotta walk for it.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:59 pm

:welcome2: To FV :welcome2:

topcatt

Post by topcatt » Tue May 26, 2015 11:30 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. I will look into each suggestion carefully. Regards TC.
(Therese C. older lady 56, new to fishing). :gone:

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Wed May 27, 2015 12:31 am

ah ok dougie.. used to be an old spot i used...guess i was lucky at the time... so many good spots.. "you are not allowed to be".. heathens!.. lol
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

Return to “General”